Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royalbomber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I've got a top of the line iMac and a new G-Tech 4TB Thunderbolt drive.

I just moved to a new location in the Bay Area, which has great HDTV signal.

I'm planning to buy an HDTV antenna rather then set-up/pay for monthly cable service.

However, I have a busy lifestyle, and would like to incorporate a recording function.

Here is my supposed workflow for doing this:
-HDTV Antenna on Roof Recieve's signal

-Tuner on my HD TV has cable antenna input

-Use iMac to receive cable input and record it by schedule onto an external hard drive.

how do i do this???.....
I've found websites with great signal maps, but I'm not sure what antenna to buy? what tuner to buy? how to set-up recording function?

royalbomber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
You need a device like an elgato EyeTV to convert the video signal so the iMac can record it. iMacs don't have a video-in port.

Thanks, I've seen those. So essentially, just have the antenna, and run a splitter cable one running signal to my TV and another the Elago EyeTV on the iMac...

Is there any other companies comparable? Or is the Elago the best one?

triweaver2

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Check out the products like HDHomeRun and open PVR type software like MythTV which is OS X friendly. As to the antennas, that is tricky. Look for antennas direct to see if they might help you. Sounds like you are in a way better reception area than I am. Good luck.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Thanks, I've seen those. So essentially, just have the antenna, and run a splitter cable one running signal to my TV and another the Elago EyeTV on the iMac...

Is there any other companies comparable? Or is the Elago the best one?

Elgato seems to be the most popular one here on the forums.

I'm tempted sometimes to buy one and ditch cable TV, but most of the stuff we watch isn't on broadcast. Some is probably available on the net (legally), but then you don't get closed captions, which I depend on.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
Check out the products like HDHomeRun...
+10

Put it anywhere convenient to ethernet and power, and antenna placement, then access two tuners from anywhere on your network, from any computer. Even can be made to work to iPad2 or 3.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The antenna depends on where you're intending to put it. You need a line of sight to the Sutro Tower; that's where most all signals originate. I use a Channel Master 4228 on the roof. But if you've already got an old antenna up there, try that first. You may need a converter to enable a coax run from there down though. There's a yahoo group called hdtv-in-sfbay or somesuch that can give you tons of info.

I'd go with something that records on a box rather than your iMac. It takes up considerable space, and if it processes the video to make it viewable on iOS that takes horsepower and can sap even a fast system. The external boxes do much of that for you. But I've also used El Gato dongles on my Mac and they work great with the EyeTV software, which is by far the best. And we really do have a great sampling of broadcast HDTV here in the Bay Area; better quality than sat or cable IMHO.

Rob

azen

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Mohu

A lot of people have gotten into Mohu's antennas, check out the Mohu Leaf on Amazon if you are within 30 miles of the towers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.