Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleness

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Has anybody ordered an iMac i7 without HDD? (just with SSD)

Is it such a silly idea?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You are already spending couple grands to a computer so the extra 150$ that it costs to get the 256GB SSD + 1TB HD should be no brainer. Adding it later isn't that easy so just get the SSD + HD combo

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
You are already spending couple grands to a computer so the extra 150$ that it costs to get the 256GB SSD + 1TB HD should be no brainer. Adding it later isn't that easy so just get the SSD + HD combo

$150? Where..........

The apple site says $600.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, help me out

thanks

Appleness

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009

You are right, it is a little extra money, but...

What if I don´t need such disk room right now? The benefits? A super silent iMac. Given all those threads about noisy disks, I´d even pay for a silence warranty.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK

What if I don´t need such disk room right now? The benefits? A super silent iMac. Given all those threads about noisy disks, I´d even pay for a silence warranty.

I have an i7 with 256Gb SSD + 1Tb HD and to be honest, sometimes I think the HD was a waste of money. I have loaded all my files from my trusty G5 and still have over 120Gb free, I've not even touched my HD yet.

On the subject of noise, my HD is pretty quiet (just a faint fan-like noise) but as I'm not using it right now, I've 'ejected' the HD and it no longer makes even a the smallest sound. OK, so I don't use it but at least the option is there in the future and in the meantime, my iMac runs pretty silent.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

It's your money so you decide. You can always get an external HD with FireWire 800 if you need more space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.