Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Hi Guys!

I am a first time Apple purchaiser :) Am excitied to buy! :)

I have been holding out for a 'refreshed' 15inch MBP and am obviously still waiting.... A friend suggested to me that instead I should buy a 21.5inch Imac and an Ipad instead....

The main things I want to use my computer for is;
* Photo editing / viewing
* Web browsing
* Emailing
* Maybe video editing in the future
* Rarely for work related presentations / documents etc.

I thought a MBP would be best initially as I would have the flexibility of being portable which I want due to showing people photos - but my friend suggested the Imac - as I would have a bigger screen to edit photo's at home and then an Ipad for showing them to other people with still the ability to check web/emails etc when not at home...

I am lost and would like some advice/suggestions re; the pro/con's and your opinion on my buying delima! :confused:

Thanks in advance :eek:

P.S I am not too fused about the cost of the products I get - just want to get what is best for me :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Never buy revision A Apple products.

Now come on. If not for the people who buy rev a products then who would help things along so rev b is so much more improved? And really, I think your answer lacks a certain substance. Just sayin'.

aussiegirlsusan, while the 15" MBP is portable, if you're looking for something real portable and not powerful then the iPad wouldn't be a bad choice. I think a MBP if you already have a display is a good buy and allows you to choose your panel. When the iPad comes along you can see if you'd like something ultra portable but realize that it will not be running anything more than a glorified iPhone/iPod Touch OS.

And to answer your question, a rev a product is in fact a first release product. And pay little mind to all of that. No one knows what problems may or may not plague the iPad.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am not opposed to buying Revision A Apple products
(yes a first release)

Your dilemma is a personal choice of course
There was a time I would have said the MBP as a no-brainer
But now, with the iPad, it is a tough call

I might would go for the iMac and iPad

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Now come on. If not for the people who buy rev a products then who would help things along so rev b is so much more improved? And really, I think your answer lacks a certain substance. Just sayin'.

aussiegirlsusan, while the 15" MBP is portable, if you're looking for something real portable and not powerful then the iPad wouldn't be a bad choice. I think a MBP if you already have a display is a good buy and allows you to choose your panel. When the iPad comes along you can see if you'd like something ultra portable but realize that it will not be running anything more than a glorified iPhone/iPod Touch OS.

Can you run an Ipad with a computer at all - as at the moment i dont have one! I don't have a display either so i really am going to have to buy what is going to suit me best - I am a bit worries about the Ipad alone as I do already have an Iphone and can see it is just a bigger version of that :)

And to answer your question, a rev a product is in fact a first release product. And pay little mind to all of that. No one knows what problems may or may not plague the iPad.
Ah thanks for that!

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
I am not opposed to buying Revision A Apple products
(yes a first release)

Your dilemma is a personal choice of course
There was a time I would have said the MBP as a no-brainer
But now, with the iPad, it is a tough call

I might would go for the iMac and iPad

It is a hard as i realise it is a personal choice - but what i buy is hopefully! going to last me a few years and I want to make the right decision!
Thanks for your vote :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would not consider the iPad alone without the iMac
If you are going to just get one... then get the MBP

But using the iPad in conjunction with the iMac seems like it might be a good solution for you
There are still a lot of unanswered questions about how the iPad will integrate with another computer, but I have a feeling those issues will be worked out

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
I would not consider the iPad alone without the iMac
If you are going to just get one... then get the MBP

But using the iPad in conjunction with the iMac seems like it might be a good solution for you
There are still a lot of unanswered questions about how the iPad will integrate with another computer, but I have a feeling those issues will be worked out

If I was to get the Imac, does it matter that the Imac's have the old processors in them?....as I was holding out for the I3/5/7's in the MBP (even thought I don't really understand the difference except they are new and faster!) - is the old Imac still a good computer or would the MBP be a better buy?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
This is actually a very good question and one that I asked myself too. Only that I included my iPhone in the deal.

The fact is that 13" MB Pros are a good compromise between portability and usability. If you want to get anything larger, than prepare for heavy lifting. I have 13" and 15" MB Pros. We use the larger one as a desktop. It never left the house. With my 13" MBP, I use an external 22" screen. It's not as stunning as an iMac, but it's matte. With iMac, you haven't got that option. With MB Pro, you have.

If you want an extension of your computer on the move, consider the iPad 3G version. You may ask yourself - would I need an iPod Touch or an iPhone more? Why? Would a larger screen change that?

Finally, You need to consider your lifestyle. If you travel a lot for longer periods, a laptop might be better. If you live an urban life, perhaps an iPad is more comfortable and easier to carry, perhaps most days. Unless you want some serious-serious editing on the spot, the iPad will probably fulfil your needs.

You decide.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
If I was to get the Imac, does it matter that the Imac's have the old processors in them?....as I was holding out for the I3/5/7's in the MBP (even thought I don't really understand the difference except they are new and faster!) - is the old Imac still a good computer or would the MBP be a better buy?

Even if the MBPs got the new processors, even though they are brand new tech it'll likely only be slightly better than the current iMacs due to the current iMacs having faster clock speeds and being desktop parts (of course, it depends on how high-end a model you can get and Apple may do BTO options like they do now, which would be a lot faster but also more expensive). The iMacs will also update to these parts eventually (likely in the summer), but of course you may not be willing to wait that long.

An iPad and iMac would be best if you don't need to do too much when away from home. Just remember that the iPad is limited to running one app at a time, so if for example you want to copy and paste something from a website to one of your presentations or documents, it'll involve closing iWork (or similar), opening Safari, copying, closing Safari, loading iWork, then pasting. Light use of the iPad, will be fine though. However, if you already have an iPod touch or iPhone, remember a lot of the functionality would be duplicated there.

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
This is actually a very good question and one that I asked myself too. Only that I included my iPhone in the deal.

The fact is that 13" MB Pros are a good compromise between portability and usability. If you want to get anything larger, than prepare for heavy lifting. I have 13" and 15" MB Pros. We use the larger one as a desktop. It never left the house. With my 13" MBP, I use an external 22" screen. It's not as stunning as an iMac, but it's matte. With iMac, you haven't got that option. With MB Pro, you have.

If you want an extension of your computer on the move, consider the iPad 3G version. You may ask yourself - would I need an iPod Touch or an iPhone more? Why? Would a larger screen change that?

Finally, You need to consider your lifestyle. If you travel a lot for longer periods, a laptop might be better. If you live an urban life, perhaps an iPad is more comfortable and easier to carry, perhaps most days. Unless you want some serious-serious editing on the spot, the iPad will probably fulfil your needs.

You decide.

Hmmm - the more I look into this it becomes a bit tricker! I don't really travel for long periods, I live in the city and probably wont be doing major works while out of home....just showing photo's, checking emails, web and anything major at home.... so mayby the Imac/Ipad combo sounds better?

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Even if the MBPs got the new processors, even though they are brand new tech it'll likely only be slightly better than the current iMacs due to the current iMacs having faster clock speeds and being desktop parts (of course, it depends on how high-end a model you can get and Apple may do BTO options like they do now, which would be a lot faster but also more expensive). The iMacs will also update to these parts eventually (likely in the summer), but of course you may not be willing to wait that long.

An iPad and iMac would be best if you don't need to do too much when away from home. Just remember that the iPad is limited to running one app at a time, so if for example you want to copy and paste something from a website to one of your presentations or documents, it'll involve closing iWork (or similar), opening Safari, copying, closing Safari, loading iWork, then pasting. Light use of the iPad, will be fine though. However, if you already have an iPod touch or iPhone, remember a lot of the functionality would be duplicated there.

I don't really want to wait until the summer - as I have been waiting to purchaise since Sept 2009 - but everyone kept saying, wait wait new MBP's are going to be release and we are still waiting!

I don't anticipate doing much out of home - just showing photos, emails and web browsing - all editing stuff would mostly be at home. Thanks for the advice re; ine app at a time running - that is good to know.
The duplicate aspect is the only thing in the negative for the ipad for me as i do already have an iphone and see it will be so similar - just basically a bigger screen for showing photos....

MagicMacMan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I'd vote for the iPad and the iMac. I've got a current gen MBP 15''. The top of the line one. I do professional video editing, photography, and lots of music/tv shows/movies with iTunes. My problem is I do almost everything on a cheap little Mac Mini! I love my MBP and it is a powerhouse! It's amazing! But I like using my desktop more. I love my magic mouse with magic prefs to let me change the features. I also like the option to have dual monitors though you can't really do that with an iMac. If you get the iPad, you can always do what I do with my iPod touch. Sell it when the new one comes out. I sell my iPod touch every year when the new models come out. I lose.. 50 bucks? That's all. Granted I do keep mine in near mint condition. So I'm sure the second gen iPad will be miles ahead, but I think I may get one now anyway. I would love to plug my camera in, move my photos to my iPad, erase my camera, and repeat. I would love the big screen for games and such. I wouldn't give up my MacBook Pro, but I would really like an iPad for almost everything I do on my macbook pro. But that's just me. I kind of rambled there a little bit so I hope you get the point.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
MacBook Pro because it has the built in battery which lasts for hours and is so transportable. I do much the same work. I've had MacNotebooks before they existed (Remember the kangaroo anyone? brain transplant of ROMs). I've been using a PowerBook (still am) in various incarnations (15"G4 now) since 2000 and it does all of this sort of stuff although a little slow on the video. The MacBook Pro should take care of that fine.

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
I'd vote for the iPad and the iMac. I've got a current gen MBP 15''. The top of the line one. I do professional video editing, photography, and lots of music/tv shows/movies with iTunes. My problem is I do almost everything on a cheap little Mac Mini! I love my MBP and it is a powerhouse! It's amazing! But I like using my desktop more. I love my magic mouse with magic prefs to let me change the features. I also like the option to have dual monitors though you can't really do that with an iMac. If you get the iPad, you can always do what I do with my iPod touch. Sell it when the new one comes out. I sell my iPod touch every year when the new models come out. I lose.. 50 bucks? That's all. Granted I do keep mine in near mint condition. So I'm sure the second gen iPad will be miles ahead, but I think I may get one now anyway. I would love to plug my camera in, move my photos to my iPad, erase my camera, and repeat. I would love the big screen for games and such. I wouldn't give up my MacBook Pro, but I would really like an iPad for almost everything I do on my macbook pro. But that's just me. I kind of rambled there a little bit so I hope you get the point.

Thanks for your advice - they are great examples of how I could use it all - I have a lap top (PC!) at work (what I am using now!) but i have it plugged into a screen and when i need to use it as a lap top - it is a bit fiddly! No mouse, smaller screen....and I don't think I like it as much... So that really reinforces your point of using a Imac for the editing stuff instead of a MBP. I think initially i liked a MBP for the portability but if the Ipad will do that bit for me - the Imac/Ipad combo could be the best option..... :)

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
MacBook Pro because it has the built in battery which lasts for hours and is so transportable. I do much the same work. I've had MacNotebooks before they existed (Remember the kangaroo anyone? brain transplant of ROMs). I've been using a PowerBook (still am) in various incarnations (15"G4 now) since 2000 and it does all of this sort of stuff although a little slow on the video. The MacBook Pro should take care of that fine.

Doesn't the ipad have 10 hours of battery also? :confused:

jsol92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Just buy yourself an external monitor for $100-$200 :D
That way you would have the screen real estate and one machine to keep all your files on. Transferring things from one device to another can get really annoying.

Never buy revision A Apple products.

I've had my 1st gen iPod Touch since December 07 and I've been 100% satisfied since then. So satisfied that after 3 consecutive years of switching MP3 players before I got my iPod Touch, I haven't bought another since.

But in the iPad's case, I could see why people wouldn't buy the first generation. It just seems to my like they've rushed it a bit.

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Doesn't the ipad have 10 hours of battery also? :confused:

Yes, that's what Apple's claiming. I plan on getting an iPad to supplement my 24" iMac. I think the iPad / iMac combo will work out just fine. The only question is 3G or WiFi? If you don't really, truly need 3G during the course of your usual daily activities, the WiFi version and the 21" iMac together will cost the same as the 15"MBP. My 2006 15" MBP has been an absolute workhorse for me, and has never let me down, but the iPad is just so intriguing, with its super light weight and thin profile, that I'm willing to give it a try, and see if it complements my heavier work on the iMac.
The 15" MBP is an outstanding machine, but this way you can have two Macs. Either way, you can't go wrong.

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Yes, that's what Apple's claiming. I plan on getting an iPad to supplement my 24" iMac. I think the iPad / iMac combo will work out just fine. The only question is 3G or WiFi? If you don't really, truly need 3G during the course of your usual daily activities, the WiFi version and the 21" iMac together will cost the same as the 15"MBP. My 2006 15" MBP has been an absolute workhorse for me, and has never let me down, but the iPad is just so intriguing, with its super light weight and thin profile, that I'm willing to give it a try, and see if it complements my heavier work on the iMac.
The 15" MBP is an outstanding machine, but this way you can have two Macs. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for your advice - can you briefly explain 3G v Wifi to me - I get Wifi is wirelss and would then work when your out and about if wifi is availalbe - is 3G internet on your Ipad like the Iphone??? Sorry I am simple ;)

That is the difficult decision - the Imac and Ipad is about the same cost as the MBP - just don't know which way to go!! :)

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
The 3G version of the iPad will use the cellular towers to transmit and receive signals, just as the WiFi will use a "hotspot" provided to users by the place you're working in, like StarBuck's, McDonald's, etc.

AT&T announced prices for iPad 3G services here in the States will be $30 per month, in addition to the regular cell phone bill.

I will most likely get the WiFi version, since most places I would take the iPad to already have WiFi hotspots. Anyplace that doesn't, I can just use my iPhone. I used to bring my laptop with me all day, but since I've bought an iPhone and iMac, for the light work, like checking email, using just a few apps, I just didn't have to rely on the laptop anymore. Mostly, I'll probably use the iPad while I'm sitting at home, watching TV, or talking on the phone, and just want to browse iTunes and check email. Sometimes I don't want to get myself involved in new projects on the iMac, because I'm done for the evening.

Everyone has different computing needs, so I would suggest thinking about how many places you would normally visit that have WiFi, and how often you'll need 3G. I hate the thought of paying the phone company an extra $30 a month if I'm only going to be using 3G a couple of times per week on the iPad. They get enough of my money already.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
MBP would be better as you'll get portabilty as well as a large screen experience with an external display. But if you want more power and don't travel much or only do light browsing while travelling, then buy the imac and the ipad.

but i would suggest a MBP with an external display.

ps-check out the refurb store...you could save some money atleast...

mac4me123

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
A MBP with an external monitor would be an excelent choice, not only portable when you need it, but will also have a large enough screen for photoediting! An imac would be very good if your are doing most of editing in the same place at home, take a look at refurb store while your online!

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
The 3G version of the iPad will use the cellular towers to transmit and receive signals, just as the WiFi will use a "hotspot" provided to users by the place you're working in, like StarBuck's, McDonald's, etc.

AT&T announced prices for iPad 3G services here in the States will be $30 per month, in addition to the regular cell phone bill.

I will most likely get the WiFi version, since most places I would take the iPad to already have WiFi hotspots. Anyplace that doesn't, I can just use my iPhone. I used to bring my laptop with me all day, but since I've bought an iPhone and iMac, for the light work, like checking email, using just a few apps, I just didn't have to rely on the laptop anymore. Mostly, I'll probably use the iPad while I'm sitting at home, watching TV, or talking on the phone, and just want to browse iTunes and check email. Sometimes I don't want to get myself involved in new projects on the iMac, because I'm done for the evening.

Everyone has different computing needs, so I would suggest thinking about how many places you would normally visit that have WiFi, and how often you'll need 3G. I hate the thought of paying the phone company an extra $30 a month if I'm only going to be using 3G a couple of times per week on the iPad. They get enough of my money already.

:) Great advice - I absolutly agree - I don't really want to pay for 3G if I just use it now and again....
Thanks for demonstrating how an Ipad would be usefull :eek:

aussiegirlsusan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
MBP would be better as you'll get portabilty as well as a large screen experience with an external display. But if you want more power and don't travel much or only do light browsing while travelling, then buy the imac and the ipad.

but i would suggest a MBP with an external display.

ps-check out the refurb store...you could save some money atleast...

Cool - will look at the refurb store thanks - I did initially like the idea of a MBP as several years ago I had a PC and it was limited to use at home (obviously!) but now with the ipdad - you do have the option of travelling without the hassles of having everything stuck at home.... so hard to know what will suit best! Thanks for your advice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.