Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xrs74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hi guys,

I removed the original 1TB HDD that came with my iMac and replaced with the 3TB HDD that I pulled out from my iMac 2011 when I sold it. I initially hooked it up through USB3.0 but it's always asking to initialize so I decided to open it up since I'm planning to do a Raid 0 using another SSD anyways. When I installed it internally somehow the iMac wants to automatically fuse it with the 128GB SSD and I accidentally clicked fix. I was able to unfuse it but now I couldn't find the files. Is there a way to revert the 3TB HDD to its original working condition or somehow retrieve the files?

BTW, I successfully did the Raid 0 and my Write speed is 630MB/s, Read 830MB/s, so I'm happy with that :). I'm just a little annoyed that the files on the 3TB HDD isn't showing up on finder :mad:.

----------

When I deleted the logical volume group, does it mean that the files are lost forever? Tnx!

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I removed the original 1TB HDD that came with my iMac and replaced with the 3TB HDD that I pulled out from my iMac 2011 when I sold it. I initially hooked it up through USB3.0 but it's always asking to initialize so I decided to open it up since I'm planning to do a Raid 0 using another SSD anyways. When I installed it internally somehow the iMac wants to automatically fuse it with the 128GB SSD and I accidentally clicked fix. I was able to unfuse it but now I couldn't find the files. Is there a way to revert the 3TB HDD to its original working condition or somehow retrieve the files?

BTW, I successfully did the Raid 0 and my Write speed is 630MB/s, Read 830MB/s, so I'm happy with that :). I'm just a little annoyed that the files on the 3TB HDD isn't showing up on finder :mad:.

----------

When I deleted the logical volume group, does it mean that the files are lost forever? Tnx!

When you "fixed" it via Disk Utility, both drives were wiped clean.

xrs74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
As soon as it started "fusing" I forced shutdown the iMac, but when I turned it back it on it's already "fused". So I'm assuming it didnt wipe everything.

I only used the delete logical volume command after it was powered up to basically "unfuse" them and it did it really quick, like 10seconds or less. What are the chances of retrieving the files back? Do I need a special software?

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
As soon as it started "fusing" I forced shutdown the iMac, but when I turned it back it on it's already "fused". So I'm assuming it didnt wipe everything.

I only used the delete logical volume command after it was powered up to basically "unfuse" them and it did it really quick, like 10seconds or less. What are the chances of retrieving the files back? Do I need a special software?

No solution from me but I do have a question - Any increased fan activity with the 3TB Drive? I tried a 4TB in mine but it was having none of it, functioned just fine and showed up etc but the fan noise was eccentric. I'm just trying to fathom if the firmware of the drive is controlling this behaviour.

xrs74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
No solution from me but I do have a question - Any increased fan activity with the 3TB Drive? I tried a 4TB in mine but it was having none of it, functioned just fine and showed up etc but the fan noise was eccentric. I'm just trying to fathom if the firmware of the drive is controlling this behaviour.

The fan revved up high, I downloaded ssdfancontrol (google exirion, it is free) and it solved the fan problem.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
So even with an Apple firmware drive it exhibited this behaviour? I think the cable must be different this time around.

xrs74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
So even with an Apple firmware drive it exhibited this behaviour? I think the cable must be different this time around.

Im not quite sure what made the fan rev high but the 3TB HDD I put in there was from a Seagate external drive, so no Apple firmware on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.