iMac late 2015 i5/m395x vs i7/m395? Which is best?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jgreene67, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jgreene67 macrumors newbie

Hey guys

So I plan on getting a 5K iMac soon and wanted some opinions on what build I should go with for what I'm doing on it. So basically I plan on playing games like WoW and some Steam games. I also am doing video editing on iMovie and Final Cut along with some Photoshop/After Effects on the for my YouTube channel.

So my question is... Do I go with the i5 , 8gb Ram, 512gb flash storage and the m395x 4gb

OR

The i7, 8gb of ram, 512gb flash storage and the m395 2gb

Both I would upgrade the RAM myself to probably 16 or 32 but would the i5/m395x or i7/m395 combo work best for what I do. Both come to the same price so that's not the issue. I also know the i7 hyper threads to 8 cores and the i5 can't so does that matter? Or is it worth it to throw the extra $$ and get the i7/m395x?

Just looking for some opinions or experiment with these machines. Thanks everyone :)

2. zhaoxin macrumors regular

For a gamer, definitely i5+m395x 4gb is better than i7+m395 2gb. As the vram matters on 1440p games.

Also there are rumors say that i7 is overheat on iMac 5K 2015 late. You can search that.

i7 will do better in After Effects, but AMD GPU also can do acceleration, so I guest the difference is not much.

If i7 deserves the price, allow me to quote someone in mac rumors who says, for an iMac that will run 5 years, the money differences per year is small.