iMac mid 2011. List of SSDs and HDD REPLACEMENT drives with no speed issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kgian, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kgian macrumors regular

After reading many of the ssd related topics I came to the conclusion that the easiest procedure is to just REPLACE the original HDD with an SSD. It sounds as straightforward as removing the glass, unscrewing and lifting the screen after unplugging 1 to 3 connectors and replacing the HDD with the SSD. No additional cables needed, no removing the logic board. Just easy stuff.

Some people are reporting fan issues while others report no issues at all. Seems these issues are SSD brand related.

Using vertex 2 and vertex 3 SSDs seem to lead to no problems at all.
    Using intel 510 SSDs seem to lead to fan issues.

I don't know about passing the apple hardware test. I don't know about other SSD and HDD models. Everyone who has REPLACED their HDD please post your experience here so we can make a database with what works and what doesn't. Doesn't hurt if this topic becomes sticky too..

2. dgr macrumors member

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

If you replace the HDD with a SSD I think you will have fan issues unless you jump the pins. I'm pretty sure that the Vertex SSDs do not send the correct info back along the power cable (as the stock Apple drives do).

4. nochnia macrumors member

Vertex 3 seems to work flawlessly. But you forget that you need an 3,5" to 2,5" adapter... and what about a SATA III cable?