iMac no internet and no recovery HD - how to recover!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by missgeorgina, Jan 6, 2014.

1. missgeorgina macrumors newbie

Hi,

I really need some help on what to do with my Mac. Recently, my internet via ethernet and wifi has stopped working. Having checked my ethernet cable, and my internet router, and also connecting via another device the internet appears to be working, but on Safari I receive an error message saying 'Safari cannot connect to the server...', and I also can't connect to other applications needing the internet such as Itunes Store. So this is my first issue if someone can think of a way of me resolving this without recovery?

I considered reinstalling OS-X. But the instructions online are quite confusing, some say I need the internet and others say I need a recovery HD. My mac was bought in early 2010. Command-R doesn't work at all, but the option button does work but only presents me with my Mac HD, no recovery HD. So essentially, if I have to recover, how do I do this without internet or a recovery HD!

Thanks in advance!

Georgina

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Open settings->network preferences. Select the ethernet interface on the left, then click advanced. Tell us what you see on the TCP/IP and DNS tabs. Then do the same for the WiFi interface.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Try following the other help offered first before trying to reinstall. Since your Mac is from 2010, it came with grey System Restoration discs. Do you still have those?

4. missgeorgina thread starter macrumors newbie

ScoobymcDoo thanks so much for helping...here's what I see:

Ethernet
    Tcp/ip tab
    Configure ipv4: using echo
    Ipv4 address: my ip address
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: router up
    Configure ipv6: automatically

Dns tab
    Dens servers: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Airport
    Tcp/ip tab is the same as for ethernet
    Dns tab: dns servers: 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.254

To confirm, I ran a full Sophos scan and I don't appear to have anything bad on my computer.

Bear, embarrassingly I've just found the discs. Everywhere online said recovery had to be done online with no discs. And because I got it so long ago I forgot I had them. If it does come to the point where I do need to reinstall, do I just pop the CD in and follow what it says on the CD 'to start up from Mac OSX hold down C key as computer starts up'?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Pop the disk in and follow instructions on the disk to start the re-installation process. After that, follow onscreen instructions.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

No need to hide your IP address - it is all non-routable addresses used behind your router. I was wanting to make sure that you were getting properly configured by your DHCP server.

I assume "using echo" is supposed to be "using DHCP"
    I assume your IP address shows up as 192.168.1.<something>
    I assume your router is 192.168.1.254

Do you use the same router for both wired and wireless?
    I ask because for wired it sets you up with the opendns DNS servers, but wireless seems to be using the router's built-in server.

Since you are posting here, should I assume that you have other devices which can use your router successfully?

7. missgeorgina thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I'm connecting using my kindle. The router is used for both wired and wireless. I hooked up the Ethernet as I share a house with 3 other people two of which use Apple tv and I was constantly buffering.

I really don't understand why it's stopped working? Perhaps I should reinstall? Now that I have the disks it's not a problem to start from scratch as everything isalready savedexternally?

8. missgeorgina thread starter macrumors newbie

I've went ahead and reformatted. To be honest, it was good to wipe it all and start again. All reformatted succcessfully! Thankyou though for trying help, much more helpful than the Apple Support discussion forums.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

See, that wasn't that hard. You already had the disks, all that was needed was a simple push of them inside the Mac. Glad to know it worked out.