Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plastickid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
Ok, so i am obviously new here, but let me assure you i have read through a lot of posts here in order to resolve my issue. So far no luck:

I have an Imac running on OSX 10.6.8.

THE PROBLEM: It will not locate internal speakers.

It will play the startup chime but no other sounds. It plays through headphones and external speakers just fine. If i unplug the jack the volume control is greyed out and a crossed out circle appears and i cannot touch the volume slider. When i unplug the headphones a red light appears.

SOFAR I HAVE TRIED:
Rebooting in safe mode
Rebooting holding down alt+command+P+R
Uplugging the jack while rebooting
Wiggling the jack
Cleaning the jack and pulling it out several times
Cleaning the socket
Opening the activity monitor in order to quit the process that runs audio

Nothing works. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
have you tried reinstall from fresh osx mavericks ?
A fresh OS install may or may not work, but he could just as well try with the OS version he's running. Moving to a new OS Version before they're ready to isn't a good answer.

Thanks in advance
You could try creating a separate account to try the sound first. If that doesn't work check with a fresh OS install - make sure you have good backups of your system.

And if neither of those work, you may have a hardware issue.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Sounds very possibly like the little switch in the jack socket that tells the mac that headphones are plugged in is slightly bent causing it to think that something is plugged in when it isn't.

The solution if this is the problem is to take something thin and non metallic like a wooden toothpick and gently probe about in the socket until it sorts itself.

This is often caused by using a slightly bent jack plug so check them before plugging back in.

hope this helps

saravu

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
NO SOUND IMac, 10.6.8 Intel

i have a problem

So pref>sound> no internal speakers, headphones or ext speakers... only soundflower

its a Imac 10.6.8, 2 ghz intel core duo.

it has startup sound, after reseting pram settings...

no red light in jack...

it seems like there are no drivers installed...

Any Ideas??? PLEASEEEEE

I Dont have installation disk, so i cant reinstall os...

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Ok, so i am obviously new here, but let me assure you i have read through a lot of posts here in order to resolve my issue. So far no luck:

I have an Imac running on OSX 10.6.8.

THE PROBLEM: It will not locate internal speakers.

It will play the startup chime but no other sounds. It plays through headphones and external speakers just fine. If i unplug the jack the volume control is greyed out and a crossed out circle appears and i cannot touch the volume slider. When i unplug the headphones a red light appears.

SOFAR I HAVE TRIED:
Rebooting in safe mode
Rebooting holding down alt+command+P+R
Uplugging the jack while rebooting
Wiggling the jack
Cleaning the jack and pulling it out several times
Cleaning the socket
Opening the activity monitor in order to quit the process that runs audio

Thanks in advance

On the Apple Support forums some folks have had success restoring sound by uninstalling iTunes and then re-installing it.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19367063#19367063

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.