Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
At present most of my digital editing work is done on my Macbook Pro 13.3" using LR3. From time to time I feel constrained with amount of space available in terms of screen size. What will be best setup in my case ? Does buying iMac would be better or getting a dedicated monitor would be better ? And which one ?

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
If you're happy with the workspeed of you macbook then keep it and get the sceen, just buy antiglare...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My 17 in MBP runs at 2.5 Ghz, so it's comparable to your smaller system. I have an older Samsung 23 inch (P2370) monitor that I use for my photo editing. It's a PVA monitor, a middle ground between TN and IPS. The color is great. The current model is LED (PX 2370). The extra screen real estate gain from an external monitor makes it easier to manage programs like LR, A3 and PS that clutter the screen with pallets and thumbnails.

The drawback to a setup like this is that you lose portability unless you are willing to shutdown your system and pop the monitor cable. Having a desktop and a laptop is a nice luxury.

Dale

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If you're looking to upgrade your entire computer, then perhaps you should consider an iMac, in addition to other machines.

If you're totally happy with the performance of your MBP and simply want more screen real estate, I'd recommend you just get a monitor.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I prefer my MBP hooked up to an IPS external. I need the portability sometimes more than I need the power. If your fine with the performance on your current laptop then just get an external monitor.

I would go nuts working with LR on a 13" monitor I have a 24" and its just barely big enough.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for update, I think I personally like using dual screen when I'm working on MBP. I primarily use LR3 for my editing and so far I'm happy with my MBP performance. Can iMac be used as a dual monitor with MBP ?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If you're looking to upgrade your entire computer, then perhaps you should consider an iMac, in addition to other machines.

If you're totally happy with the performance of your MBP and simply want more screen real estate, I'd recommend you just get a monitor.

+1... this is exactly what I would recommend.

BTW, unlike many, I prefer glossy displays, but you have to be able to control your ambient lighting very effectively.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks guys for your help. There is one more thing with the new MBPs out does buying 17" MBP makes more sense compared to iMac ? In terms of performance benchmark it seems like there is lot going for new MBP.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Thanks guys for your help. There is one more thing with the new MBPs out does buying 17" MBP makes more sense compared to iMac ? In terms of performance benchmark it seems like there is lot going for new MBP.

I would think the 15" would be enough horsepower, frankly, and you could plan to plug a much bigger external monitor into that. If you do value portability, I've found the 15" to be just on the edge of what I'd consider portable. I have no trouble carrying it around, but the 17" is just a tad on the unwieldy side. You may have different preferences.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The iMac is due for an update and an iMac with a Sandy Bridge cpu should be faster than any MacBook Pro. I'd get an iMac in addition to your old MacBook Pro. The iMac's screen will be a lot better than any of the MacBook Pro displays. Personally, I was also thinking about a two-computer solution as well, but back then, there was no 11" MacBook Air.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
The iMac is due for an update and an iMac with a Sandy Bridge cpu should be faster than any MacBook Pro. I'd get an iMac in addition to your old MacBook Pro. The iMac's screen will be a lot better than any of the MacBook Pro displays. Personally, I was also thinking about a two-computer solution as well, but back then, there was no 11" MacBook Air.

I have found myself in a similar situation...

I have an older (2008) iMac that is struggling with my uses, as well as an iPad that just doesn't really do anything. Bought it to use at client meetings for weddings, but have found myself dreading using it. Too hard to type, hitting the wrong thing, etc. Just a toy.

New MBPs are very tempting to replace both my iPad and iMac, but I think I am going to hold out. Tempted to get a new iMac when it comes out, sell iPad and buy baseline MBA (a real computer).

JackPasta

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Man, I'm in the EXACT same boat.

I've been debating between getting an iMac (once they update) or an external display for my 2008 MBP. My MBP is running CS5 just fine and that's the most intense program I run. So, since I'm happy with the performance of my current notebook, I'm leaning towards just purchasing a monitor. Then, if (and when) my MBP *****s the bed, I'll just get a new MBP. Or, if my MBP continues to work flawlessly for the next 2 years, maybe I'll just upgrade to an iMac in the next year or so and then have a great big two screen setup.

Now.

Which 26/27/30 inch IPS monitor? I definitely want to go bigger than 24". I know there are a lot of great 24" monitors out there, but if I'm going to get a big screen to edit on. I want just that, a BIG screen.

Any input is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks a lot.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Man, I'm in the EXACT same boat.

Which 26/27/30 inch IPS monitor? I definitely want to go bigger than 24". I know there are a lot of great 24" monitors out there, but if I'm going to get a big screen to edit on. I want just that, a BIG screen.

Any input is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks a lot.

And this is where I run into problems in figuring out my own answer to this question. 27" IPS monitors still run about $900. For another $500 or so, you can pick up a refurb imac that should clearly outperform your MBP from '08. It's hard for me to justify dropping that much money on a monitor when I could have the monitor AND significantly higher performance (I'm running an original core duo mbp, so my situation's a little different) for not that much more.

JackPasta

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
And this is where I run into problems in figuring out my own answer to this question. 27" IPS monitors still run about $900. For another $500 or so, you can pick up a refurb imac that should clearly outperform your MBP from '08. It's hard for me to justify dropping that much money on a monitor when I could have the monitor AND significantly higher performance (I'm running an original core duo mbp, so my situation's a little different) for not that much more.

Yeah amigo, I hear ya loud and clear.

The thing is, if I get an iMac, I want to get the next generation with updated inputs (thunderbolt) and possibly some other goodies.

And, my main thing is portability. In my line of photography I'm constantly driving, flying, meeting with clients, etc. Therefore, I need a notebook.

So, the iMac is taking a backseat as I think getting a decent monitor would give me the screen real estate needed to be happy while editing while maintaining constant portability.

Also, for future suggestions, I suppose I could do a 24" monitor if the price was right. There's such a drastic increase from 24" - 27". It's kind of ridiculous.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.