iMac or Mac Pro (Im the one who ruined friend's logic board....)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mister9, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Mister9 macrumors regular

... anyways, i'll leave it that- but I've decided to upgrade my comp and give him my macbook pro (we both have... had the same laptop). Up until the whole reboot after waking thing I was going to go top notch and get the Mac Pro cuz I liked the idea of expansion. Then I decided I'd wait until they fixed the issue... but as I play around with configuring it and seeing all those digits in the Cart- I'm beginning to realize that I could have 2 computers for the final price of a Mac Pro (w/ display and all). SOO THEENN... sorry this is so long/ I'll just cut to the chase:

The iMac comes with a built-in display, how does this compare with the Cinema HD's?? I'm not into graphic design or anything- I'm just starting my first year in Comp. Science & Engineering so I might need to use 3D apps at some point in the future. I would also like to use it to watch TV with the EyeTV. I use my comp for audio recording (LOGIC STUDIO 8). But the more I investigate I find that Logic 8 doesn't even utilize multi-core processing, it just floods 1 core at a time...

I guess my question is iMac or Mac Pro? I understand most programs don't take advantage of multi-core... yet; and that FBDIMM's are a bit slower than the comparable DDR2's due to latency.. but I like that "yet" aspect to it. I feel like if I get a Mac Pro I wouldn't have to think about getting a new computer for 5 or 6 years. But a guy at this comp store argued "You'll have to get a new comp in 3 years just like the rest of us." I'm confused... I don't even know what my question is anymore.. can someone slap me and give me direction please?

2. gorby macrumors 6502

Well, as you say, for the cost of Mac Pro, you could get 2 iMacs?

So when you 'have to upgrade' in 3 years, just buy the newest iMac, problems solved :D

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most 'Universal' programs utilize the multiple cores on a Mac, because nearly every Intel Mac has mutiple cores on their CPUs. Also, OSX does some of this work for you (actually it is the mach kernel, but I digress). Unless you are doing some major, MAJOR processing, I'd get the 24" iMac. If in the future you need a faster computer, then upgrade to the MacPro. Don't spend money you're not sure you need to spend. Then again, don't step over dollars to pick up pennies.

TEG

4. Mister9 thread starter macrumors regular

true

Yeah, I know I don't need it- it was just the aspect of finally being ahead... I bought this Macbook Pro back in 06 and then 2 months later they came out with the Core Duo 2... And now I hear all these rumors about the iMac being upgraded, or even the MBP getting upgraded and I wonder if I should wait? I have a feeling I'm gonna be a sucker once again.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

There will always be better things round the corner my friend,no matter
    when you buy