iMac OS X 10.5.8 screen as monitor for Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RosieB, Dec 24, 2010.

1. RosieB macrumors newbie

I am very untechnical so much of what I have read on this matter is above my head, but in simple language, if I buy a new MAc Book Pro is there any way that I can use the 21" screen on my 2005 iMAc OS X as a monitor? I asked someone at Apple Store and was told that though later models were fully compatible, for one that old I would need special software, but he couldn't say what. An earlier thread posted last year that I didn't fully understand suggests that I don't need software. Any help would be much appreciated as I shall miss my lovely big screen, but the computer itself is beginning to go slow with old age.
    Thanks, RosieB

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's software, but you have to know how to set it up. You can't simply connect it like an external monitor. IIRC, google screen recycler or some such.

3. RosieB thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know where I can find out?

Thank you so much. I did as you suggested and found a product with high scores from reviewers but no information about how to set it up. DO you know where I can find this? My far-more-technical-son is coming over in a few days time and could probably do it for me if he knew what to do!
    Rosie

4. RosieB thread starter macrumors newbie