Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Due to advanced security features of the Apple T2 chip, iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro models must pass Apple diagnostics for certain repairs to be completed, according to an internal document from Apple obtained by MacRumors.

imac-pro-macbook-pro-2018.jpg

For the 2018 MacBook Pro, the requirement applies to repairs involving the display, logic board, Touch ID, and top case, which includes the keyboard, battery, trackpad, and speakers, according to the document. For the iMac Pro, the requirement only applies to logic board and flash storage repairs.

If any of these parts are repaired in an iMac Pro or 2018 MacBook Pro, and the Apple diagnostics are not run, this will result in an inoperative system and an incomplete repair, according to Apple's directive to service providers.

Apple's diagnostic suite is limited to internal use by Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, as part of what is called the Apple Service Toolkit. As a result, independent repair shops without Apple certification may be unable to repair certain parts on the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro.

Moreover, when the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro are eventually classified as vintage products, meaning they are no longer eligible for hardware service from Apple, repairs through alternative channels might not be possible.

MacRumors has reached out to Apple for comment.

This requirement is a result of the T2 chip, which integrates several previously separate components, including the system management controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller. It also features a Secure Enclave coprocessor for secure boot, encrypted storage, and authenticating Touch ID.

To initiate a Mac repair, visit the Get Support page on Apple.com.

Update: Despite the specific wording of Apple's document, which says failure to run Apple diagnostics after certain parts are replaced in T2-equipped Macs "will result in an inoperative system," the repair experts at iFixit swapped out the display and logic board on a 2018 MacBook Pro, and it remained operational without passing diagnostics.

iFixit is not an Apple Authorized Service Provider, so at this time, it appears that independent repair shops should be able to repair the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro without issue. It's unclear why Apple's document suggests otherwise.

Article Link: iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro Systems Must Pass Apple Diagnostics to Function After Certain Repairs [Updated]

Last edited:

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Sounds futuristic and all, but considering I still regularly use technology from 20 years ago which sometimes requires maintenance and repair, this sounds like a horrible ecological choice on Apple's part.

At the minimum, I hope there is a way to disable these kinds of features when Apple designates them as vintage products.

Lightsaber

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
Have several Macbooks and enjoy using them. Also have a new Dell XPS 15 4K that I can completetly tear down and rebuild from the ground up using a Dell provided maintenance/assembly guide. Guess more Dells and less Macbooks as time goes on (really dislike concept of $3500 disposable computers).

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
So will stuff like this make the coming Mac Pro unable to use generic hardware, or be upgraded or repaired? I'm gonna lmao

I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed by the new Mac Pro. It’s not going to be nearly as upgradable as people hope. It will be “modular” - and you’ll have to buy all of your “modules” from Apple. Because, you know, security!!! It’s pretty obvious that Apple is taking the Mac in an extremely closed/proprietary direction.

bevel

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Honestly?! I have spent 3500 EUR on a 13 inch MBP that is not as fast as a Dell XPS that costs 1/2 as much. The storage is not upgradable. The memory is not upgradeable. Everything is glued together inside the case - if anything breaks I might as well throw away the laptop and buy a new one.

Now compare to my previous laptop - a 2011 MacBook pro. Everything was upgradeable. I bought it with 4GB RAM and upgrade to 16. It came with 256GB hard disk - I upgraded to a 1TB SSD. I replaced the keyboard when I spilt liquid on it - it cost 30 EUR in parts and I fitted it following an ifixit guide.

Look at where we are!! Out of principle, I honestly don't think my next laptop will be a Mac.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
The fingerprint reader I understand. But the keyboard? You think the service people are going to install a keylogger? How do you know there's no keylogger already built in? Unless you designed and made every single transistor yourself, you can never know. But most people are not that paranoid. Throwing away a perfectly good computer just because it's considered vintage by Apple and no one else is allowed to repair it is bad for the environment.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
What if the reason for the repair is something that prevents backing up your data?

You shouldn't just back it about right before you intend to bring it to the Genius bar.
You should backup continuously.
Then you lose at most a day or even less.

If your data is worth something. If it ain't, then there's no point in backing it up.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Everyone who just purchased a $10,000 iMac Pro better get on it and make a ton of dough quick cuz in a blink of an eye it'll be vintage and EOL.
I think it can safely be said that a $10,000 iMac is probably the worst computing solution anyone could possibly dream of.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
What if the reason for the repair is something that prevents backing up your data?
That’s a stumping question. With so many avenues for backing up data, including ports, cloud services, and time machine, I would be extremely surprised if that would occur. In 2018 it should be second nature for anybody and everybody to always have backups, whether passive or active.

The wiping policy is for hardware servicing and replacement, and *this* situation could very likely be rectified through troubleshooting with a Genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.