iMac Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Italchef, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Italchef macrumors 6502

    Nov 3, 2003
    Maple, Ontario
    I'm about to make the big switch and am very excited. What I'm wondering is: I've seen on a few sites that January's Mac Expo in San Fran might include a new look iMac with G5 1.8 Ghz and possibly a larger screen. Is it advisable to wait until January to see if this is all true, and if it is will the new iMac be more expensive or the current price? Will the current iMac's ( in particular the 17" FP with superdrive) still be available and what might the price on those be?

    By the way, I've been visiting my local Mac reseller and just stand and drool over the this normal?
  2. Italchef thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 3, 2003
    Maple, Ontario
    Sorry, forgot to ask this: does anyone have any stories regarding the financing through apple? Would a 4 yr. term be too long in terms of wanting to upgrade?
  3. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

    Aug 13, 2003
    Wait if you can, even the chance of getting the G5 in the iMac is worth it (and if there aren't G5, expect dual G4 in top model around then or a little later). The top model seems a touch overpriced at the moment, having a G5 or DP in the same model will make it much better value.

  4. tom.96 Suspended

    Jun 13, 2003
    I'm in the same position as you at present! I am eager to buy a new imac but am waiting until January to see if there is going to be a G5 in it or not. Whilst I don't know what Apple will do, I think that it is likely that they will put a G5 in it.

    It just seems to make sense - they can put faster G4s in the emac, and a G5 in the imac to differentiate the product line up. If they don't do this, I'll probably get the entry level G5 PM with a 17" LCD when the next PM revision is released. By then, hopefully the PM and LCDs will have dropped in price a bit.

    i plan on keeping my new Mac for at least 3 years (my current imac is approaching its fourth birthday) and I'm unsure whether a G4 will last that long. I think its worth waiting a few months, at least thats what I'm doing!
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    i would say wait unless you need a computer now,imac performance is emac performance and neither are close to the protowers. Apple has to see this and im sure are working on a mac to fit into the huge performance gap. apple just gave us another bumped imac so it may be 5 months before this happens but lets hope not. I dont see a better way to get more imac sales without a G5.
  6. dieselg4 macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2003
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    doesn't hurt to wait till january

    There have been a few rumors posted that speculate an imac revision in January, some reportedly "as revolutinary and the switch to lcd screens" so its probably worth the wait. Even if it ends up jsut to be a speed bump you'll get a faster processor at most likely the same price.

Share This Page