iMac Retina – Adobe Lightroom: library view stutters

Discussion in 'iMac' started by melllvar, Nov 8, 2014.

1. melllvar macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have a (almost) maxed out Retina iMac: 4 Ghz, 24 gig ram, m295x.
    I use Lightroom 5.6 for my photos and unfortunately the Library view is terribly slow and stutters all the time while browsing. As soon as I move the window to my old Cinema Display, connected to the iMac, the stuttering goes away. it seems to be a graphic problem. Same happens if I resizes the LR window to a smaller size on the Retina screen.

Anybody else has those issues? Is it a LR problem or is the iMac too slow for rendering it on the retina screen?

2. FredT2, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

FredT2 macrumors 6502

Yep, I am seeing the same thing. It's pretty bad. I've been mostly in the Development module so hadn't really paid attention to it. It's not so bad using the page up/down keys, but scrolling with magic mouse is not pleasant.

Update: It appears to me that this may be another Yosemite issue. I found that my Mini shows the same stuttering.

3. kucyk, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

kucyk macrumors member

The Lightroom experience on the new riMac is horrible to be honest.

It's laggy and unresponsive, basic operations like cropping can hammer a CPU badly and cause the fan to spin for a moment :eek:

4. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Well crud. Doing some comparisons using my Mini and my wife's Macbook Air, there's not doubt that there's something quite wrong in the Develop module. Everything on the retina iMac is slow and lags a lot. Same operations on Macbook Air are quick with no lag. Perform a manual scale (Lens Corrections) on Macbook Air, changes are immediate as slider is moved. On iMac, the change can literally take seconds after slider is moved until change is visible. I haven't managed to get the fan ramped up, however.

5. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Doing some more investigating, I dug up a version of Lightroom 4 and a Macbook with Mavericks to see if I could pin anything down to OS or Lightroom:

1. The jerkiness in grid view scrolling seems to be common to all the computers I've looked at and is the same in Lightroom 4 and 5.

2. The Macbook running Mavericks and Macbook Air running Yosemite each have no problems in the Development module. Same for the Mini running Yosemite.

Something is wrong, but I have no clue as to what it could be. There is a severe lag to every slider in develop that is not seen in any of the other computers I've tested. Logically it is unrelated to the GPU, since Lightroom doesn't use it, but it would be great if someone with a base processor and GPU (mine has the m295) would report back.

6. melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

I just hope, Adobe can somehow patch it. If it's a problem with the iMac in general, I'm pretty tempted to return it.

InDesign CC 2014.1 is also pretty sluggish on the retina Screen...

7. FredT2 macrumors 6502

What are you seeing? Which model? There is one response on the other Lightroom thread where the poster says it's working fine. He has the upgraded CPU and GPU like me.

8. melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

As I said in the first post: Library view stutters while scrolling. Develop module works okay for me..

9. FredT2, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

FredT2 macrumors 6502

OK, someone on another forum came up with the answer I think . I'll link to it so you can read his explanation, it's the second post in the topic:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=95017.0

I tried exactly what he suggested, both making the Lightroom window much smaller, and putting the display in 2560x1440 low resolution mode. In both of those situations adjustments appear smooth. Lightroom is apparently calculating adjustments to every pixel it is displaying, so up to 4 times more pixels. It just can't do it smoothly. I guess we'll just have to wait for Adobe to add GPU support.

10. melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I experienced (See Post #1).

Resizing the window or moving it to a non-retina screen makes performance much better.

11. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Hey mellivar, I think that scrolling thing is mostly just Lightroom, as it stutters on all of my Macs. But when you say Develop module works okay, what do you mean, everything smooth as you move adjustment sliders? Try adding a gradient filter and then moving the saturation slider fairly rapidly from side to side. Are the visual changes smooth or abrupt?

12. dandrewk macrumors 6502

13. melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

I'm now pretty sure it's a problem with Adobe Apps.

Lightroom, InDesign and Acrobat (all latest updates) lag very hard. I just hope they can patch that, or else I might have to return the iMac...

14. kucyk macrumors member

Version 5.7 is out, anyone tested it already? Any improvements on riMac?

15. melllvar, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

Still the same, terrible performance while cropping and in library mode while scrolling.

As soon as I move the window to a non retina screen, everything is good again.

16. FredT2 macrumors 6502

I think that the crop tool shows some improvement.

17. Col Vandal macrumors member

I'm actually glad to hear you guys with the i7/295 are seeing the same issues that I am on my i5/290 -- gives me hope that it's not entirely because of my hardware. It has to be software related. I just wish Apple would work more closely with companies like Adobe so these things wouldn't happen. At the least, you'd think Apple would test Adobe software of their iMacs before releasing them and touting them as for video and photography. BTW, NIK plugins are even worse.

18. WilliamG macrumors G3

I see zero improvement in 5.7 Lightroom. I will also say, that even running my Retina 5K high-end iMac at 1280x720 still has the exact same stuttering of the crop tool. I suspect Adobe needs to update their software.

19. Col Vandal macrumors member

Has anyone tried switching theirs to full retina mode and tested it? I noticed an improvement in Photoshop doing this.

20. FredT2 macrumors 6502

By that do you mean 5120x2880? I did and there was no difference, but the UI elements are so small that it's impossible to use, so even if it did there would be no point.

What does make a difference is to switch the screen to 2560x1440 low res mode. Lightroom then runs like normal, but again what would be the point.

21. Col Vandal macrumors member

I saw an improvement in Photoshop by switching to the 5120x2880 mode. And I see the same as you in Photoshop while in the low res setting. I had a lengthy Apple support session and today heard back after submitting my computer info to their engineers. In the end, it seems Apple is aware of a driver/Yosemite issue overall with the system and is working on an update. Whether or not that will fix our issues is to be seen. But I feel much better knowing it's software rather than the hardware. I don't use Lightroom much, but I've seen your issues as well. Apple/Adobe should be working on this.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

In Lightroom, the crop tool runs about three times WORSE when set to 5120x2880 than when set to 2560x1440 Retina mode. Setting the screen to 2560x1440 non-Retina mode runs *better* (acceptably, no question), but still not 100% smooth. I'm not entirely convinced it's software-related, but I hope I'm wrong.

23. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Hate to say this, but I don't seem to be seeing the same issues. I've got the 4.0/265, LR 5.7.

I can notice some stepping in the image as I rocket say an exposure slider from side to side, more than on my companion 2560x1440 monitor. Discretely clicking at a point in the slider is pretty instantaneous. I can move from image to image in the Library module as fast as I want. Overall a bit more delay if I use 1:1 in Develop, but not much. Overall at least as snappy as my previous Mac (4770k and that 2560x1440 monitor).

I'm using high quality 2880 previews. 32GB RAM. Using mostly RAWs from my Oly M4/3.