imac+rMBP or rMBP+external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apoenq, Jul 12, 2015.

1. apoenq macrumors member

Hi guys, I currently have iMac 21" mid 2011 (2.5gHz i5, 8gb ram, 500gb HDD, 6750M 512mb DDR5 GPU) and 13" rMbp early 2015 (2.7gHz i5, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, intel HD6100). I am now thinking to sell my iMac and just use my rMbp + external monitor instead. I don't like the idea of having two computers cos it feels like wasting resources and I cannot find a good way to sync data between these 2 macs except using cloud services (let me know if i am wrong). I also live alone so don't think I can donate my iMac for some else to use. I believe I can save up to $300 if I sell my iMac and buy a normal IPS full hd monitor (Dell S2340L or LG ultra wide 25UM55-P). I might need an external HDD also and I already count that in. Anyone has face this dilemma before? Any comments will be appreciated. Below is some of my background and consideration/questions. So should I sell my iMac? Anything that I may missed out that can convince me to keep it? :)

Background: I am using laptop or pc mainly for video streaming, browsing, remote desktop for my work, simple word/data processing, play some light games, beginner video editing. I only play games like TF2, GW2, LOL or DOTA2. For video editing, I only using GoPro video software (didn't really edit 4K video though). Since I have been using iMac for a while, I prefer to have bigger screen than 13" mainly for playing games and video editing. I also bring out my laptop twice a week so i think I need laptop for portability.

My consideration/questions:
    1. Based on Geekbench, iMac mid 2011 only has slightly higher score (7237 vs 6938). Can I say that my rMbp is as fast as my iMac? my iMac still using normal HDD so rMbp will do feel much faster in day to day use.

2. how bout the graphic card? is intel 6100 enough for playing my games and GoPro video editing? will I force my rMbp work harder if I play games and video editing? any potential heat issues?

2. anyone can comment on the overall performance comparing Dell S2340L/LG ultra wide 25UM55-P with iMac screen? I am just afraid that i will be disappointed with the external monitor since iMac apple screen is famous for the quality. btw I don't want to spend much money with the external monitor (if it is too expensive, might as well I keep my iMac right?)

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Have you tried those game titles on the rMBP yet? The HD graphics are okay, but they are integrated and somewhat weak for more modern game titles. It has been a while since GW2 was released but it is a decently intensive game - you may have to scale back your resolution and sacrifice more than just basic settings for it to be an enjoyable experience. Bringing a large IPS monitor into the equation will add to this as well.

If you have directly gamed on the rMBP and you're satisfied with it - I would go ahead and support the idea of getting a monitor in place of the iMac, especially since you don't seem keen on having more than one machine.

3. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Well the iMac is still going to be better for games - albeit not an incredible difference. I agree with you - owning 2 computers is just a hassle and doesn't make sense when the MBP's are basically as powerful sans dGPU as the iMac's. I use to own both. Back in 2009 things were different, and the gap was larger, so I did own both an iMac and MBP. But, iMac's are really not any more expensive (cheaper in many cases) now, the display is built in so even less clutter, and you get the dGPU. So the iMac is really a great bang for your buck if you don't need the portability.

In your shoes, I'd personally think about selling the rMBP first if you think you could live without the portability and just get a used iPad or something. But, if you don't want to do that, the rMBP will still be plenty fine for the games you mentioned, running at about 1600 x 900 at Low-Medium settings. I personally use a Late 2013 13" and game with it. The performance is acceptable, but I'm still probably going to have to bite the bullet and get a gaming PC again in the future as I refuse to own a console.

4. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for your comment and reply. Yap thanks for the advice, i will test the actual gaming later on, will update my experience. regarding adding IPS monitor, I am planning to buy a 23" 1080p monitor only so does it means that I just need to make sure that my rMbp can play game at 1080p resolution, no need native resolution correct?

Saw from your signature that you are using mac mini and macbook currently. any tips to manage files between two macs? Thanks! :)

5. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for your reply and comment. I tried before using iPad for my work that need portability, and unfortunately I am missing the ability to use mouse since there are some code programming included in my work. :(

Yes i think my mid 2011 iMac and 2015 rMbp has similar performance now so i thinking to sell my iMac to get an affordable external monitor and buy apple care for my rMbp. I am just worried that I will miss something in my iMac, i.e. display quality iMac vs. the new monitor. I am okay to keep my iMac as long as there are enough benefit and reasons that can convince me.. :)

Any tips on files management when you had two macs last time? thanks!

6. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The 6750m is a rather weak card at this point. I can't imagine it would give a major gaming bump at 1080p over the retina MacBook. I'd sell the iMac and use the MacBook with a monitor.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

How do you mean? Are you looking to keep two installs relatively the same?

8. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for your reply! :)

9. apoenq thread starter macrumors member

installs? apps you mean? I think not only apps but more on files management.. sorry for my bad english. >.<

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's quite alright. I don't know if I will be of much help - I am pretty old school when it comes to file management. I use physical backups via Time Machine, and flash drives if I need to move anything from one machine to another. I don't use anything modern such as iCloud or Dropbox or other cloud based services.