Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That may be due to the LCD panel being behind the glass panel and thus being a bit recessed.

eXAG5XhYqcnNbHGK.large

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hm i dont have a lcd screen and its a long time since i had used one
but on a crt you can adjust the position and the hight and width and numerous other things ..realy cant remember if you can do that on a lcd too
if then its @ screen preferences adjustable

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
hm i dont have a lcd screen and its a long time since i had used one
but on a crt you can adjust the position and the hight and width and numerous other things ..realy cant remember if you can do that on a lcd too
if then its @ screen preferences adjustable

I can't find some thing like that

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada
No, that is normal. My 20" 2.4 GHz iMac from late August 07 looks like that at the top, it's just because, as said before, the display is behind a fairly thick piece of glass and recessed beneath.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Well I think I will go down to Fona tomorrow and see how their iMac looks... If it does not have the same error, it will be sent for repair. Then we shall see if this is something they can repair or if I get a new one?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I'll also chime in and say that doesn't look right to me either, especially as you seem to have taken the picture looking ever so slightly down.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the thing behind the glass and recessed is a nice idea ,but even then the screen should still be nearly as big as the opening ,and equally big gaps to all four sides but if i interpret right what the op was posting the picture displayed on the screen is not in the middle and different gaps on all 4 sides which cant be normal

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
I've talked with Apple today. They knew nothing of the problem and did not think it could be solved through software. So there is probably no other solution than to send it for repair.

:(

nyle

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Looks normal to me.

I have a 27" i7 iMac, and it looks the same.

It actually depends at which angle you are looking, the way you tilt the monitor, etc.....
The displays never go all the way to the top, sides nor bottom, so maybe the bigger the screen, the more space is visible.

You can not go to a store and look at a computer, then go home and look at yours, and make a definite conclusion.
You have to put the computers side by side to be completely sure that there's a difference, and they both have to be tilted exactly the same way.

Do you really want to send your new computer for repair for something which could be normal??

I think we are getting too picky with our new iMacs, I for one keep looking to see if I have this dreaded yellow tinge.
I don't think I have, but if I just keep on staring, then I can almost convince myself that it is there!

In the end, it's your own choice. If you think it is necessary to send it in for repair, then it must be the right thing to do???

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
just look at the bottom... is any bit of the screen "cut off" ie... behind the aluminum bezel?

My guess is its just the way the screen is recessed...

BTW: I cant believe the idea that software was even considered to be a possible solution if this were a problem. Its like saying, the prongs on my plug is crooked and cant fit into the outlet, is there a software update for that? :confused:

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Looks normal to me.

I have a 27" i7 iMac, and it looks the same.

It actually depends at which angle you are looking, the way you tilt the monitor, etc.....
The displays never go all the way to the top, sides nor bottom, so maybe the bigger the screen, the more space is visible.

You can not go to a store and look at a computer, then go home and look at yours, and make a definite conclusion.
You have to put the computers side by side to be completely sure that there's a difference, and they both have to be tilted exactly the same way.

Do you really want to send your new computer for repair for something which could be normal??

I think we are getting too picky with our new iMacs, I for one keep looking to see if I have this dreaded yellow tinge.
I don't think I have, but if I just keep on staring, then I can almost convince myself that it is there!

In the end, it's your own choice. If you think it is necessary to send it in for repair, then it must be the right thing to do???

In this case I am right in front of my iMac... It hangs on the wall so no angle there...

And yes I can compare to the one in the shop... The iMac in Fona had almost no space from the black frame and to the menu bar...

I have to know if this is normal or just the way it is... But I don't think it is supposed to look like this... If I look at the sides and the bottom of the screen they are not like that...

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
just look at the bottom... is any bit of the screen "cut off" ie... behind the aluminum bezel?

My guess is its just the way the screen is recessed...

BTW: I cant believe the idea that software was even considered to be a possible solution if this were a problem. Its like saying, the prongs on my plug is crooked and cant fit into the outlet, is there a software update for that? :confused:

I look at the bottom of the screen and there is no space down there... It goes right to the edge of the black border...

nyle

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
If it is up on a wall, try to step far away from the computer and look at it from a perspective point of view.

Does the display looks completely odd to you? Are the margins completely off?? does it look like the display is a lot more down to the bottom??
If for example, you are going to put a picture on a frame, are you going to center the picture in a completely different way??

How long time have you had your computer? If the display is competely off, don't you think you would have noticed it right away?

Anyway, it seems like you are set on sending it for repair.
When you get it back, will you be kind to post a picture?

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
If it is up on a wall, try to step far away from the computer and look at it from a perspective point of view.

Does the display looks completely odd to you? Are the margins completely off?? does it look like the display is a lot more down to the bottom??
If for example, you are going to put a picture on a frame, are you going to center the picture in a completely different way??

How long time have you had your computer? If the display is competely off, don't you think you would have noticed it right away?

Anyway, it seems like you are set on sending it for repair.
When you get it back, will you be kind to post a picture?

There is no doubt about it.

Regardless of how and from which angle I see the screen, it is only at the top that is missing so much.

I have this morning had a friend visiting who has the same machine as me. I took my screen off the wall and we have compared the 2 screens. Here one can clearly see that the top of my screen has much more space than his ...

But now it will be sent in and if it is normal it's just something I must live with, but I know it is at least:)

Moreover, my SuperDrive is scratching my movies and the machine freezes periodically when I connect a USB device to it. So there are a few things to be looking at;)

I will write again when I get it back

nyle

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
There is no doubt about it.

Regardless of how and from which angle I see the screen, it is only at the top that is missing so much.

I have this morning had a friend visiting who has the same machine as me. I took my screen off the wall and we have compared the 2 screens. Here one can clearly see that the top of my screen has much more space than his ...

But now it will be sent in and if it is normal it's just something I must live with, but I know it is at least:)

Moreover, my SuperDrive is scratching my movies and the machine freezes periodically when I connect a USB device to it. So there are a few things to be looking at;)

I will write again when I get it back

OK, SuperDrive leaving scratched marks on disks, and problems when connecting a USB device are definitely defects/failures that needs to be addressed.
Did these problems developed after sometime?
I've only had my i7 since Dec.18, and have had no problems so far.
How long time did it take before you noticed these failures?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.