Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I had a similar experience to this with a Sony laptop I bought. The hard drive in that died after around 18 months and I went back to PC world and they quoted £270 to repair it. I challenged it under the sales of goods act as that states that the goods must be fit for purpose for a reasonable period of time (15 months is not reasonable).

It's worth noting that under the sales of goods act, the warranty is actually an addition to your legal rights and not instead of. Therefore, regardless of the length of warranty, you should insist they fix it free of charge.

You say you challenged it. What happened then? Someone posted here that they worked for PC World and they would try to get out of it. (On the other hand, I suppose if PC World fixes your Mac under the sales of goods act, then surely the manufacturer (Apple) would end up paying for it? So are they just trying to sell a very expensive repair where they make profit? )

All in all, it seems that the best advice is to buy Apple products at an Apple Store.

webcity

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
You say you challenged it. What happened then? Someone posted here that they worked for PC World and they would try to get out of it. (On the other hand, I suppose if PC World fixes your Mac under the sales of goods act, then surely the manufacturer (Apple) would end up paying for it? So are they just trying to sell a very expensive repair where they make profit? )

All in all, it seems that the best advice is to buy Apple products at an Apple Store.

Well basically they tried the whole it's out of warranty act and if I wanted it repairing then I would have to pay to have it repaired. So I did a google for the sales of goods act, printed it off and took it to the store. Asked to speak to the manager, where I should him that I had the sales of goods act with me and explained that it stipulates that the laptop I purchased should be fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time and that under no circumstances is 18 months a reasonable life span for a laptop (let alone a Sony laptop).

The manager then agreed that it was their responsibility to fix it and I shortly received a voucher through the post for £270 to cover the cost of the repair which I then had to take into PCW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.