iMac stolen. I have logmein and got an ip address!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Smileyboy, May 5, 2011.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

My iMac and MacBook air were stole from my house last night along with tvs etc.....

I was super distraught and just came to grips that aleast I have insurance... Well they used the iMac and I opened up logmein and they were connected to the Internet.

I was able to get the ip address off the computer via the logmein app, I used an ip llocator on google and found a longitude and latitude and then Used that to find an address.

I'm wondering how accurate the ip locator is? Can someone help?

Thsnks

2. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Give the info to the police.

Those IP locators aren't always accurate to the house, however the ip itself could be traced to the location via the ISP.

3. wpotere Guest

Very accurate depending on where they logged in from. You need to contact the police and tell them what happened. You can then give them the IP and they could contact the ISP to hopefully find out who had it on that date. They should then be able to get a physical address. Contact the police and give them the info....

4. vigu360 macrumors member

vigu360

Give the information to cops and they can easily track the person

5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I just checked my own IP (cable modem) and it was accurate to within 8 miles, but by no means pinpointing me.
    However, my ISP could pinpoint it to my house.

6. Spyriadon macrumors regular

Spyriadon

7. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

is there a way to turn off the popup that appears when you connect via logmein? I turned off notifications in the preferences but it still pops up when I remote into my computer

8. Pintail macrumors member

Ooh! I hope you get the bastards!

We got broken into and by some miracle the items were recovered 6 mos later when the police checked the guy's house on a gun-related warrant.

Fingers crossed that the police act quickly and you get ALL your stuff back! Plus you know who to sue for the damage to your home!

Grrrr. Punks.

9. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

11. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I gave the police the ip address. Should be fun to see what happens... I'm sure I'm over reacting. But I bought a wireless camera and a dvr connected to a router.... I can see u!!!!!!

12. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Good luck!!! I hope you get your things back. This is why I back up my most important documents to MobleMe and DVDs.