iMac Upgrade - Life in the Old Girl Still?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jrko, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jrko macrumors regular

Ive got an October 2009, 11,1 imac. Its the 27inch 2.8Ghz quad core with 8Gb running a very old OS
    Im looking to get back into photography, video and a little light gaming (Civ etc)

Would it be worth my while dropping $139 on a 240Gb SSD and $134 on 16Gb Ram at OWC to perk it up a bit? Or due to its age would the $273 be better saved towards a new 21 4K or 27 5K?

Cheers

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah I'd say it's worth throwing some cash towards an SSD & 16GB RAM. She'll run better than new from there! Just ensure the RAM is 1066MHz.

Plus the old girl is still capable of running the latest OS. LCD/Logic Board failures notwithstanding, you'll easily get another few years from her.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're still happy with the iMac definitely upgrade it now and continue to enjoy the machine.

4. JackRoch macrumors member

Finally got round to replacing the dead internal drive in my late 2010 21.5 “ iMac with a refurb 500Gb Samsung 850 (tad over $100 from eBay). £85 to fit + £35 for caddy and temp sensor cable.

Rather pleasingly (and unexpectedly) RAW processing of three photos (from external HD) took 43 secs; same files now take 23 secs.
    I’d hoped for (and get) speed increases on disc-related actions like startup/shutdown, opening/saving but improved processing times are a pleasant bonus!

Better now than when I bought it; wish I’d done it years ago.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I've got the same machine upgraded with a 128GB SSD (runs as a Fusion Drive) and 20GB 1333 MHz RAM. I am running using Lightroom 5 on El Capitan to process my RAW photos and it still works quite well. So I'd say go for it.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'd just put 8gb of RAM in and be done with it...

7. kschendel macrumors 6502a

The only question mark might be whether the graphics can keep up with what you want to do. If the answer is yes, I'd upgrade it. If you shop around a bit you might find better pricing, the OWC stuff is fine but not always the best value.

A 512 Gb SSD and 8 Gb RAM made our early 2009 iMac into a whole different machine. We don't do anything that pushes the graphics side though, no video editing etc.