iMac vs. Retina MBP and Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scudder!, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Scudder! macrumors newbie

So here's my situation:

I'm debating whether to buy a new iMac or a Retina MBP and monitor to replace my existing 2007 iMac (which still works great by the way -- I plan to give it to a friend). I use pretty standard programs -- MS Office, Citrix, iPhoto mostly so I don't need huge power. I do work on my computer a lot, however, and really prefer a desktop style setup for working.

I also use a laptop when I travel, but I don't however have to have a new laptop at the moment. I have an older MBP and a new iPad that are just fine for occasional use.

Is the Retina MBP and the accompanying hassle of a non-Apple monitor worth it? Will I appreciate having the HD? Or should I just buy the Retina MBP and an Apple $$$ monitor? Should I hold out for new Retina iMacs? Or just get a new iMac? Any guesses on when they may come?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

Hey man,

I have a 15" rMBP and a logitech mouse. This setup is enough good for me to work. The 15" screen is already big enough and of course its very high definition is amazing and I wouldn't be satisfied now with another "non Retina" monitor. That's me.

I don't know how big is the screen you are used to, but maybe you could be satisfied with 15" as I'm. If not, you can buy the monitor in the short future.

About Retina iMacs, I have no idea. Hopefully Retina Screens will come in the next iMac generation, but we never know.

Why don't you give it a try to the rMBP? If you don't like you can return it.