iMac vs Retina vs Mac Air : Best Bang for your buck?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Omar Comin' Yo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Omar Comin' Yo, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Omar Comin' Yo macrumors member

I got a good amount saved for a new computer, been running with an alienware laptop for past few years, but like the OS from using an iMac at work. Probably will keep the alienware since its 6 years old and I won't be able to get more than a old pair of jeans for it.

So, as far as what is the best bang for the buck, what do you suggest? I'll be using this as my main computer. I don't need a 3k Mac Pro Desktop, so that is out of the question.

I love the iMac screen size on the 27 inch, I love the Retina MacBooks, and the Air's aren't too bad either. I've read up on Haswell and the Iris vs Iris Pro, and a few other pieces in these computers, but I've really no experience with Apple computers outside of the past few months.

I use my current computer to do average tasks, like to play the occasional game, videos, light PS and editing.

Not really sure what to get.

What is the difference between NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory?

Also, if I go iMac, I am leaning towards Fusion over Flash. Is that the right choice?

2. kylepro88 macrumors regular

Well mobile vs desktop is something only you can answer. I love my MacBook Air. It can pretty much do whatever I want minus speed renders of video. Beyond that it plays Call of Duty 4 just fine, lets me edit just fine (even 4K…not kidding), web browsing is a piece of cake, email, etc. The PCIe flash storage is wonderful but you'll find that on the iMac and RMBP. The Retina would provide you better graphics and a bigger screen (better CPU as well) but costs you a lot more depending on what you get.

If we're talking bang for the buck mobile I think the MacBook Air is fantastic. The RMBP feels like a mobile desktop which I don't need since I have an older Mac Pro.

I think you really need to narrow it down between mobile and desktop and then go from there.