Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KonaBlend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
can anyone confirm SSD blade sizes for 1TB and 2TB fusion drive options?

on a related note, does the SSD blade use the same (apple proprietary?) connects to the motherboard as the non-fusion SSD configuration? and curious, is this connector basically M.2 with PCI express? version 3? how many lanes? so many questions i know...

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

on a related note, does the SSD blade use the same (apple proprietary?) connects to the motherboard as the non-fusion SSD configuration? and curious, is this connector basically M.2 with PCI express? version 3? how many lanes? so many questions i know...

32GB for the 1TB and 128GB for the 2TB and 3TB.

PCIe version 3.0 x4 lanes 8GT/s. Proprietary connector 12+16 pins.

See this blog post for more info - https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades

naerct

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH

Yes, NVMe is a PCI device. Most blades need X4 PCI slots for full speed. In my old 2009 MacPro, a single NVMe blade in a X4 slot only gets me 1.5GB/s reads, since the MOBO is PCI 2.0. That speed nearly doubles in the PCI 3.0 MOBO which most Macs now use. However, I use a IO Crest X16 PCI card/switch ($200) which goes in a X16 slot and essentially gives you two blades on one PCI slot and full PCI 3.0 speeds. It also has a recommended heat sink and fan built into the card/enclosure. Samsung 1TB 970 EVO=2.7GB/s reads and 2.4GB/s writes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.