iMac'27: to buy or not to buy? (iLife'11)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maxap, Oct 8, 2010.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I know it may seem as one of "those" threads of people having doubts about buying a new mac, but I really would like to hear your opinion, guys.

I decided to buy a new iMac 27 inch (i7) and don't know whether it's a good idea to buy it right now. As far as I know, some iMac's still have certain issues and Apple might be releasing iLife'11 in a while (which will be sold with new machines).

Do you guys know how this upgrade programme of Apple actually works? If I buy a new mac with iLife'09 and a new iLife'11 is released in 1-2 months, will I be offered a free upgrade to iLife'11? How did Apple go about these things in the past?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1027605

Nobody knows. It's only 79 bucks so just buy it now. It may be released next week or in March 2011.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Yeah, we already know that Amazon is going to sell books about iLife'11 in November, meaning that in about a month Apple must be releasing this new suit of software. Maybe it's worth waiting...

I was just curious to know how Apple did it in the last years: did they offer a free upgrade? (I know they did for MacOSX 10.5 users who had recently bought their new macs and were willing to switch to 10.6)

5. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm in the same boat... from what I've read, you only get the free upgrade offer if it has been officially announced by apple. It's only a few weeks, so I'm going to wait and see.

--rob

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Exactly, rob. I think I will do the same...