Image burn: iMac at fault or monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zeussz, Oct 31, 2011.

1. zeussz macrumors newbie

Hey there.

I have a 2011 iMac 27", the model with 2 thunderbolt ports.

I have 2 dell U2410s connected to the iMac via the TB ports using MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables.

Now everything seems to be functioning fine, but I've noticed a small "burned-in" image on one of the U2410's. It actually looks like a frame from the screen saver.

The frame from the screen saver is luckily pretty light and sparse, but every time the screen is supposed to be completely blank/black it's there, and it also seems to be continuously present, as I can see it affecting the image on the monitor, in some cases more than others depending on the color. A grey or black-dominant image shows it through more.

Do you think this is an issue with the video card on the iMac, or with the Dell monitor? I've tried resetting the monitor and refreshing the displays on the iMac.

Whole thing doesn't make much sense to me, as I thought "image burn" happened on a static image sitting on the screen for a long time, and this particular image is from the screen saver, which is constantly changing.

Thanks for any help.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It does happen with static images that sit on the screen for a long time. Maybe your screen saver is more static than you thought.

Regardless, with burn-in, it's going to be the LCD itself that's the issue.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What does the "frame" from the screensaver look like, exactly? I'm confused on that point. How is this display backlit -- CFL, edge LED, or embedded LED? Are you sure you're not seeing the backlight bleed?

LCD burn-in is pretty rare / hard to do, but if you really do have that, you might be able to fix it by running some kind of stuck pixel fixer over that part of the screen (e.g.)

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I experienced screen burn-in on my 27" 2011 LCD after it was in for service... i noticed their diagnostic screen burned in over my images and everything while using it, it sort of faded away but is still there,-- seems like the lcd panel itself judging that they replaced my led and none of the burn-in was there.

5. zeussz, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

zeussz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it's a specific frame from a fluid screensaver. I've never seen the screensaver just stuck on the screen, it's always moving. Here's a couple pictures. Actually, it maybe looks like a split frame or something:

screen_burn2.jpg

this picture makes it look worse than it is, the camera made everything brighter and glossy. In reality, the whole screen is dark/black, with the colors in the upper left being the noticeable "burned image". Here's an example of being able to see it on a grey background:

screen_burn1.jpg

but in most other images/applications it's unnoticeable.

Any ideas? I just find it hard to believe that this is actual monitor burn, since it's from a screen saver.

edit: mkrishnan -- yep it's an LCD, Dell U2410, which is also why I find it hard to believe. I'll try that pixel fix though.

6. zeussz thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: the stuck pixel fixer has appeared not to make a difference, after running for a while.