Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

232710-turtle_500.jpg

"Turtle"
Earlier this year, word surfaced that Microsoft was in the process of developing its own smartphone, codenamed "Pink", for launch in 2010. The phone, which was claimed to be manufactured by a third-party company, has been seen as a possible iPhone rival running on Microsoft's Windows Mobile platform.

Gizmodo today published images of not one, but two phones developed under the "Pink" project, known as "Turtle" and "Pure", and notes that Microsoft's manufacturing partner is to be Sharp.
These phones are going to be made by Sharp, who'll get to share branding with Microsoft. Sharp produced the Sidekick hardware for Danger, who was bought by Microsoft two years ago. Pink will be primarily aimed at the same market as the Sidekick, and the branding and identity for it is highly developed, pointing toward a later stage in the development cycle.

232711-pure_500.jpg

"Pure"
Gizmodo also points to a pair of reports from this past weekend claiming that the "Pink" phones will include Zune music and video services and an "App Store" similar to that employed by the Sidekick, placing the phones in direct competition with the iPhone's hardware-software feature set.

Article Link: Images of Microsoft 'Pink' Phones Emerge

JKP

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
Ick. It's bad enough they make crappy looking software, now they need to make crappy looking phones?

Comment

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
Meh, I like the physical keys but, Windows mobile? HA!:eek:

I guess we know what Microsoft will be selling in their new retail stores now. :p

Comment

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Since when did this site change from macrumors to pcrumors:confused:

These things are direct competitors with Apple products, and nobody competes like Microsoft. Being targeted by them is like being declared war on by the United States- you CAN'T ignore it.

Comment

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
So... the producer of WinMo, originally a partner with a large number of phone companies, is now becoming their direct competitor.

Looks like the reign of Microsoft as a mobile platform has just ended.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yet ANOTHER post that has nothing to do with "mac rumors".

MacRumors is becoming another Record Town...RT stopped selling "records" in like 1987. MacRumors stopped posting rumors about Macs in 2007.

Comment

completeidiot23

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
the iphone already has a good 2 year head start, and its known for being one of tge best selling smart phones. i dont think this phone will cut into any of apples sales at all.

Comment

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I love how everyone always dismisses anything not Apple as negative, I for one think this is great, the iPhone needs some competition, I personally would like to see more features and such, without competition apple has no reason to step up their game and add innovative features, I welcome any and all newcomers to the market including Microsoft.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Not everything has to be a slab to fit in a man's shirt pocket.

There are supposedly a fair number of female engineers working on stuff like this at Microsoft these days.

Perhaps the first one is supposed to be more usable by women, especially if they have nails. After the initial surprise at its looks, it seems pretty hand friendly to me.

Comment

simsandwhich

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
You morons, read the article. Microsoft didn't design it. They aren't manufacturing it. They're re branding an OEM product, loading on their software and apparently plan on marketing it to teens.

They haven't themselves copied Palm. And they're not aiming for a high-price phone like the iPhone.

Comment

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
looks alot like palm pre. microsoft get your own **** together, instead of stealing others
Dude, the MacBook looks like a lot of the other laptops out there! It has a keyboard, a screen, a trackpad and everything! Copied straight from Dell and Toshiba!!

Anyway, the turtle looks weird, I think the pure looks rather nice.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.