Imagine an iPad with the same anti glare screen as the 15" MBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by entatlrg, Sep 10, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You'd have the perfect screen for ALL lighting conditions and noticeably LESS weight.

So much for common sense.

And yes, I know the consumer gets wow'd by glossy screens and they prefer it. The majority may choose glossy when buying their first iPad. But given the choice do you think they'll choose glossy over anti glare on their second iPad? Not a chance, imo.

Apple doesn't like to offer too many options? Give me a break, this is a MAJOR option which they'd only make money from, and a company with 45 billion cash in the bank can't manage a little more inventory?

Someone isn't thinking with their customers best interest in mind.

I'd like to see a (real) petition organized that would get them to budge.

And hey, while we're at it how about a backspace and delete key on the onscreen keyboards, would save a lot of 'finger tip placing' the cursor :)

2. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

^^I like this idea, but how much of a cost increase would the consumer have to absorb?

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

To me it is more infuriating they still don't offer a Matte option for the 13" MBP. I don't expect them to offer an option for the iPad anytime soon. I would be interested if they did though. The glare gives me headaches and drives me crazy. But at least with the iPad it generally easier to reduce the glare by angling it different, hard to do with a laptop you use on a desk.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

As someone that hates working with glossy screens on a computer, I must say, the glossy screen of my iPad hasn't bothered me at all. I guess because it's easy to just shift it around a bit if you get some glare. It would be interesting to see the difference in a matte option though. Options are always good.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think it would look cool, and definitely be helpful, but I don't think I would like the tactile feel of it.

6. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You'd be surprised how well an inexpensive anti-glare screen protector works on the iPad.

Just my $.02

8. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Yeah my $5 anti glare screen protector works a treat :) I've had expensive ones and I have honestly found them to be no better.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The mistake you're committing here is assuming that the common sense is common. ;)

But yeah, I would love my iPad lighter and with an anti-glare screen.

10. b.c. macrumors 6502

Apple offers an antiglare option on the current 15" MacBook Pro for an extra $50 - my son has it on his new i7 and it looks great.

yeah, Apple doesn't have an a/g option for the iPad, but you can buy a Powersupport Anti-Glare film for $24.95. I have one on my iPad, and it is excellent - simple to apply, looks and feels great.

lots of other brands of a/g films available too. so the consumer effectively has a choice, and probably cheaper than if Apple were to offer it as factory option.

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

The glossy screen of the iPad is the sole reason I won't lay out almost a grand for one.

12. mixvio macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the glass on the iPad isn't just the screen, it's the multi-touch surface that lets it work in the first place. I'm usually a fan of glossy displays, but I've been annoyed with Apple's implementation a number of times-- every MacBook Pro I've owned got pieces of dust behind the glass until I finally switched to the matte screen. I have the same problem with my iPad even after replacing it twice, which is really frustrating.

I'd love a matte option for that alone, to say nothing of the easier experience with brighter lighting situations, but I don't see how they could offer one when the glass surface enables the entire touchscreen functionality.

13. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I noticed this week that the NYU computer store now has screen protectors on its display iPads, and they sell them as well. So
    the glossy generation is now becoming familiar with the joys of an antiglare screen. :cool:

14. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Top right of mine and every iPad I have ever saw is the back space delete button.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Ag screen can be easily scuffed. Now this isn't a big deal considering that when closed it is protected. This is not the case with the iPad.

16. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

some good ideas but

I had to return my 15" MBP because of the anti-glare and resolution (not to mention my wrists just not getting used to placement of the trackpad and keyboard).

I would hope some kind of improved display appears for the iPad. And that some of your ideas are implimented :)

17. PrestonCrawford macrumors member

LOL

Exactly.

18. PrestonCrawford macrumors member

For what it's worth I had the same problem. Had a 15" MBP with the higher resolution and anti-glare matte screen. Strangely I went to a 13" MBP and that works fine.

EDIT: I also found the ergonomics better. No more wrist pain.