Imagine the iPhone 4S was in a new case and called the iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

People wouldn't be complaining. It's amazing how people care more about how something looks and not how it performs.

It pretty much is the iPhone 5, it's just in the iPhone 4 case, which is fine since that case is awesome.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

1. Looks are important. If you disagree, you are not very familiar with Apple.
    2. A change in design means lighter and thinner, which means it's more ergonomic and more enjoyable to use.
    3. The iPhone 4 design is no longer revolutionary or even remotely close to being the thinnest/lightest smartphone, something Apple has prided itself on in the past.

3. aztooh macrumors 6502a

It's a HANDHELD device. How it looks is part of performance. Not everyone likes to hold the glass brick that is the iPhone 4

4. PlaysARobin macrumors newbie

The form factor would have justified the name change I do believe that would be the convincing most people would have needed.

I don't buy for a second that had this simply been called the 'iPhone 5' anyone would be enthusiastic (for the most part).

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

I've noticed this. Whenever Apple upgrades the innards "specs matter and looks don't" but when they change the look it's "looks matter specs don't".

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

The first part of that is true, but the 2nd part is not. See the iPhone 4 release- looks and performance.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Consider an additional theory why why not having a new case is important.

You now own the latest iPhone4S. It has all the new features. You take it out of your pocket, and NO ONE KNOWS YOU HAVE THE LATEST AND GREATEST.

There appears to be a need to be recognized as the owner of the absolute latest iteration. (See other threads on "cool") If it looks like the old, crappy, out of date phone - no one knows how terrific you are. You could just be an out of it dork with an old phone, like me.

Just a theory...:)

Let the down votes begin...3...2...1...

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I still like the iPhone 4 design. It's that 3.5" screen that will not get me to upgrade.

9. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's all subjective. Looks are only important to people who want to be seen with it, which is most people who care more about the Apple logo than anything else.

Personally, I wanted the iPhone to get BIGGER, not smaller and lighter.

But I care more about performance than what something looks like. Others don't. It's all subjective.

10. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

This complaint again.

In fact, I'd prefer the 3.5" screen. Smaller and easier design with better battery life.

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

...which is exactly why it should have been redesigned. It could have sold like crazy if all of these updates were packed into a new design with a larger screen.

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lets hope they have resolved the antenna gate issue !!

13. auxsend macrumors regular

It's just... The screen. The damn 3.5 inch screen. It's so. flipping. small.

If they had all those specs and like, a 4 inch screen, that would have been incredible. Absolutely incredible.

14. Tones2 macrumors 65816

OP is completely missing the point. A "redesign" was all about getting a 4"+ screen.

Tony

15. shortys408 macrumors regular

so what if it has 7x better graphics. It could have 100x better graphics but better graphics is not better graphics on a 3.5" screen.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Not to everyone. I don't like the small screen and the glass back. those were my only complaints about the iPhone 4 in the first place. Don't try pass your opinion as fact.

17. EddyP macrumors 6502

At the same time it could have had a 4" screen and the same internals as the 4 and some people who hate it now would be LOVING it.

18. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

case is awesome?
    i guess u dont have proximity sensor problems....

19. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

It will sell like crazy anyways. You, me and everyone else on this forum who are upset that Apple didn't release a new looking phone, regardless of what's inside, will buy it.

20. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs gave everyone a big hint last summer at the antennagate press conference that a bigger screen wasn't coming soon on the iPhone.

He said making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that."

I knew then that a bigger screen iPhone was at least 2-3 years away.

21. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I agree; that's THE reason I got an Android phone over iPhone, the screen. Well, seeing that iOS generally has better apps and the iCloud functionality with push to my computer (mainly for photos), I'm probably going to get it.

Um... yes? That's like saying, it's a 15 inch screen; better graphics aren't* better graphics on a 15 inch screen. When the screen itself has a density of 1377 by 758, or whatever those low end screens come on.

22. echaos1210 macrumors member

this same argument will occur when .....

Apple Releases the iPhone 5S

23. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Umm, no.

24. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Same here. I want factory unlocked so I cant pay $600+ for 3.5" screen. I was looking for at least 4". Right now my iPhone 4 is plenty fast so another year of wait begins.