Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ok I assume this Verizon rep is talking out of her ass but what if she isn't? She is telling me that even if I buy an iPhone out of pocket that Verizon is planning on cutting off the unlimited data period. How pissed would you be if you paid full retail and was forced down the road to get off your unlimited data plan?

Attachments

• verizon.JPG
    verizon.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 330

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Ok I assume this Verizon rep is talking out of her ass but what if she isn't? She is telling me that even if I buy an iPhone out of pocket that Verizon is planning on cutting off the unlimited data period. How pissed would you be if you paid full retail and was forced down the road to get off your unlimited data plan?

Legally if you don't change the plan, or haven't done anything that'll force you to change the plan, they cannot change the plan on their own, without your authorization.

And buying a phone in full price (non-subsidized), without a contract won't require you to change your plan, AT ALL.

I did, just deactivate the old phone and activate the iPhone 5, done. No need to call them at all as long as VZW knows this phone is a "replacement".

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
When one of their higher ups talked about the share everything plans a few months ago, it created a lot of strife on twitter, facebook, etc.

Then they clarified that people who wanted to keep their unlimited data plan could do so by buying their new phones at the full price.

If they turn around and screw over the people who paid full price for their phones, there'll be some crap all over social media.

There might even be some class action lawsuits.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
But u contract with them is also ended so legally couldnt they do it if they gave you notice. Just playing devil's advocate

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Legally if you don't change the plan, or haven't done anything that'll force you to change the plan, they cannot change the plan on their own, without your authorization.

And buying a phone in full price (non-subsidized), without a contract won't require you to change your plan, AT ALL.

I did, just deactivate the old phone and activate the iPhone 5, done. No need to call them at all as long as VZW knows this phone is a "replacement".

100% BS

They can eliminate the unlimited data plan at ANY time, without restriction.

You have NO contract with Verizon, even if you pay full price, that states the unlimited plan will continue indefinitely.

Now that 1000's of unlimited LTE iPhone users are abusing the system, it's a little different than when it was "only" 3G/+. At SOME point, they will force users off the plan. They may not be able to throttle, but it DOESN'T MATTER. They can simply eliminate the plan. Then you have to choose a tiered plan.

They have no obligation to continue the plan. None.

And before you tell me about how valuable your business is, realize they'd probably be willing to take that chance, seeing as how only Sprint (lol) has unlimited these days.

Face it, you paid full price to keep a feature that is month-to-month. Nothing more. Sorry.

(and no, not jealous... I'm on the wonderful AT&T throttle me at 5GB LTE "unlimited" plan after escaping VZ years ago...)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
May original 2 year contract is not up until may, so I am pretty confident I will have unlimited until then. Actually I feel pretty good that they will keep unlimited until they last set of "2 year ULD" contracts are up. After that I do think they will phase it out.

If they do I will just sign up for one of their new plans, get a brand new 5 and sell the old iPhone 5.

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012

Ouch now my feelings are hurt. Nah I know what you mean.

You are right about they are not obligated to keep offering and honoring the unlimited plan. Also we are not obligated to take whatever they want us to do neither.

Sour grape / jealousy or not, when the first LTE phone came out I made the full-price non-subsidized purchase to keep what I had since 2006. I heard same thing about VZW taking us grandfathered-in folks off the hook even before VZW pulled the "unlimited" off their menu of offering.

Bottom line, VZW can do whatever they want, however the amount of folks who are GFed-in, paid in full, non-subsidized phone still makes a considerable amount of their customer base. We know, they know and everybody know these days any changes that seems "unfair" to the consumer gets amplified quickly via many different channels.

If VZW is smart enough and wanted to avoid the PR sh*tstorm, they'd make a smart decision. Class-action lawsuit is a very likely possibility if they do what you think they'll be doing. I'm sure if they can avoid paying legal fees and penalties as a direct or even indirect result of possible class-action lawsuit, they'd do a careful risk assessment.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

Ouch now my feelings are hurt. Nah I know what you mean.

You are right about they are not obligated to keep offering and honoring the unlimited plan. Also we are not obligated to take whatever they want us to do neither.

Sour grape / jealousy or not, when the first LTE phone came out I made the full-price non-subsidized purchase to keep what I had since 2006. I heard same thing about VZW taking us grandfathered-in folks off the hook even before VZW pulled the "unlimited" off their menu of offering.

Bottom line, VZW can do whatever they want, however the amount of folks who are GFed-in, paid in full, non-subsidized phone still makes a considerable amount of their customer base. We know, they know and everybody know these days any changes that seems "unfair" to the consumer gets amplified quickly via many different channels.

If VZW is smart enough and wanted to avoid the PR sh*tstorm, they'd make a smart decision. Class-action lawsuit is a very likely possibility if they do what you think they'll be doing. I'm sure if they can avoid paying legal fees and penalties as a direct or even indirect result of possible class-action lawsuit, they'd do a careful risk assessment.

Hmmm

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
All I'm trying to say is that nobody has a clear answer on this. VZW can do whatever they want as they have no lack of lawyers to bend their own rules and defend it. Unless we the consumers can afford and match VZW's caliber in terms of lawyers, then we might have a fighting chance.

But let's be realistic, who is going to pay for them? Who is going to wait for the hearing, proceeding, this, that for years to come only to realize we end up spending MORE than just moving to a shared plan to begin with?

Guess what, that's what exactly VZW thought about too. They know we the subscribers pays them to have our butts raped.

Oh well.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I'm cool with it. It's not like me alone is going to change their minds, and I'm not paying 300$ to cancel my contract. I'll just steal my music and files on wifi, no biggie. Faster anyway. :rolleyes:

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
All I'm trying to say is that nobody has a clear answer on this. VZW can do whatever they want as they have no lack of lawyers to bend their own rules and defend it. Unless we the consumers can afford and match VZW's caliber in terms of lawyers, then we might have a fighting chance.

But let's be realistic, who is going to pay for them? Who is going to wait for the hearing, proceeding, this, that for years to come only to realize we end up spending MORE than just moving to a shared plan to begin with?

Guess what, that's what exactly VZW thought about too. They know we the subscribers pays them to have our butts raped.

Oh well.

This is the exact same helpless attitude and state of mind that companies like Verizon like their customers to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.