IMAP reports 1GB useage in Mail, folder takes up 5.5GB

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xenoit, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Xenoit macrumors newbie

The title basically says it all. This is my first post, and I am pretty much a mac noob. I noticed that I was getting lowish on space, and noticed that the folder for my IMAP gmail account was taking up a lot more space then I thought it should. I've got a screen shot, but don't know how to post it at the moment. (I lack a free hosting account =D)

Thanks for the help!

2. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Try selecting the mailbox then going to Mailbox > Rebuild and see if that works.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

IMAP shouldn't take much space at all.. I feels like I said this a lot recently, but it might be a good idea to file a bug report to apple so next version would be better.

4. Xenoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I will try rebuilding again, almost every other time I open my mail, it says that one of my Mailboxes has an issue, and I get the option to quit, or quit and rebuild. I have rebuilt my mailbox four or five times now though.

An error report has been sent to Apple.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

5. Xenoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like Gmail's labels, and IMAP setup differ from the mail apps a little, basically using the IMAP google lab, you can tell gmail to only show certain folders. Also, I checked googles recommended mail settings and changed those to match. Seems like I shoulda just done so in the first place!

Hope my idiocy helps others at least lol