iMessage Confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmul, Nov 11, 2011.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

The majority of my friends are BlackBerry users so I'm not as clued up as I should be about iMessage yet. Let's say I've been SMS'ing an iPhone friend and then for whatever reason, it switches to iMessage. Should I then send a picture over iMessage, will that register as an MMS or will it send it like an attachment in an e-mail (no extra extortionate charges). If it is like an attachment, is there a way to absolutely TRIPLE check your buddy still has iMessage activated and it will be sent in the way intended? Should for whatever reason their connectivity drop and it's now SMS, will it abort the picture or at least prompt me saying 'are you sure? Vodafone are about to rip your eyes out with an extortionate some of money for a few measily kbs of data which should be included in your already extortionate price plan?'.

Thanks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect. Thanks, mate.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I believe the timeout for iMessage to fallback to SMS is closer to 5 minutes.

A trick learned is, if you are sending via iMessage (using the blue bubbles), then you automatically get the little Delivered text when the message you sent is delivered.

One way to tell if there is an iMessage delay is....if you send a message, and that delivered doesn't show up right away. If that's the case, then likely iMessage is having a problem sending the message. You don't have to wait for 5 minutes. You can press and hold the bubble of your message, and it will popup asking you to force send it as an SMS.

-Kevin

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip