Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Has anyone else experienced an issue where iMessage goes down but is restored after turning off and back on an iOS device?

I've been experiencing this lately. I'll try to send a text to someone with iMessage and the "Send" button will turn green telling me that iMessage has gone down. I'll restart my iPhone and iMessage will be restored.

Is this a known bug or something isolated?

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Try to look at the network indicator when iMessage doesn't work. iMessage requires an internet connection, while regular texts also work with the cellular signal.

On my device, sometime I have a poor cellular signal and no 'data' connection. Turning the phone to airplane mode, then back in normal mode triggers a carrier search and I usually get a better signal. Probably it would happen without doing anything if you wait a minute.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I've tried putting my iPhone in airplane mode and it doesn't bring iMessage back. In fact, the only thing that brings iMessage back is a hard restart. That's why I'm wondering if this is a bug or an isolated incident.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
I've tried putting my iPhone in airplane mode and it doesn't bring iMessage back. In fact, the only thing that brings iMessage back is a hard restart. That's why I'm wondering if this is a bug or an isolated incident.

When iMessage doesn't work, is the data networking available (edge, 3g, 4g or wifi) ?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
When iMessage doesn't work, is the data networking available (edge, 3g, 4g or wifi) ?

Yes.

I've tried the airplane mode then turned on wifi only solution and iMessage would not reactivate. I would then turn airplane mode off then proceed to restart my iPhone, only then would iMessage return.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I haven't tried turning my phone off and on, but iMessage has been hit and miss for me a couple of times in the past month. A coworker just permanently turned his off and went back to SMS because of issues. I did for a new days but I have it back on now. I like the delivery and read receipts or else I would ditch iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.