iMessage iCloud Deletion Issue

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Everyone who has not updated macOS to version 10.13.5 has the same issue. The fix is to update your Mac to 10.13.5, which include Messages in the Cloud Support.

Reactions: davidmartindale

moabal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Everyone who has not updated macOS to version 10.13.5 has the same issue. The fix is to update your Mac to 10.13.5, which include Messages in the Cloud Support.
I have updated to 10.13.5. I enabled iCloud in iMessage settings on my Mac. This thread is because I am having this issue on the new version. Can you replicate the issue?

Reactions: Sdtrent

RyanXM

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
The update has been out around 2 hours. I would give iCloud a chance to catch up, both on your account as well as the server load. If the issue persists over the next day or so, I would log out of iCloud on your Mac and log back in.

Reactions: chabig and Sdtrent

Sdtrent

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2017
I'm having this same problem! Deleting messages from my Macs does not result in the message being deleted everywhere else. Is this how its supposed to be? I'm running macOS 10.13.5 and iOS 11.4.

moabal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I'm having this same problem! Deleting messages from my Macs does not result in the message being deleted everywhere else. Is this how its supposed to be? I'm running macOS 10.13.5 and iOS 11.4.
Let me know if this resolves itself for you. Would be very interested.

Sdtrent

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2017
Hey it just started working! I didn't do anything special, just waited for a bit :)

moabal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hey it just started working! I didn't do anything special, just waited for a bit :)
So to be clear, you creating a message for yourself and deleted on your Mac and just waited for it to delete on your other iDevices?

Sdtrent

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2017
Ya its all working now. Also, it turns out there was a setting that was keeping it from working on my iMac. Open up the Messages app and go to Preferences. Under the General tab, make sure that "Save history when conversations are closed" is unchecked. After that it should start working when you try to delete a message conversation on your Mac.

moabal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Ya its all working now. Also, it turns out there was a setting that was keeping it from working on my iMac. Open up the Messages app and go to Preferences. Under the General tab, make sure that "Save history when conversations are closed" is unchecked. After that it should start working when you try to delete a message conversation on your Mac.
That fixed it! Thank you.

Chris Grande

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Basically the Mac has the the ability to "hide" a conversation, while on iOS you can only delete...

donawalt

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
For the record, this is not needed, it just may have been timing that it started working for you. From the first that I turned on the setting for messages in iCloud, it started working - I specifically tested deleting a message and saw it instantaneously get deleted from my phone - and I do not have the "Save history when conversations are closed" checked at all.

moabal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
For the record, this is not needed, it just may have been timing that it started working for you. From the first that I turned on the setting for messages in iCloud, it started working - I specifically tested deleting a message and saw it instantaneously get deleted from my phone - and I do not have the "Save history when conversations are closed" checked at all.
I did another test with it on and off. It only seems to work with it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.