Imessage in the cloud used all my free icloud space

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by jasperk99, May 31, 2018.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

So, I leaped before looking, thinking great I can sync, my messages. I have tons of pics and vids that I never bothered deleting from my imessage storage and it completely filled my free icloud space. I thought if I shut it back off, and go through my messages and delete pics that I already saved to my camera roll (which is most of them, I essentially had 2 copies of all these pics and vids on my phone) Then resync to the cloud I would recover the space.

But that didn't happen, when I turn the cloud back on, my storage is completely filled up again, even though the photos and vids were deleted from the messages app data.

Is there anyway to erase the data in the cloud so I can resync and start again? Or is the icloud sync not really a sync, it keeps everything and you can remove things across devices...........

Am I now stuck not being able to use this feature unless I pay?

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Second this. 99 cents man.

4. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

Everyone wants higher quality photos, and no one thinks about the space it takes to house such data. It's a worth while investment. ALSO, if you have a Synology NAS, you can install moments, and keep high res photos at home, in your personal cloud... But if you don't have that, you won't find a cheaper solution than .99 a month. You can find that on the ground in an afternoon...

5. Statusnone88 macrumors 65832

Statusnone88

They don’t even tax the .99 cents.

99 pennies for 45 extra GB.