iMessage=iProblem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmaccy, Nov 22, 2011.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

After 2 iphone replacements for severe battery drain, updating to 5.0.1, and countless hours of trial and error... I have come to the conclusion that iMessage is the BIGGEST part of the battery drain. After testing this fix on my device I can report a MAJOR difference in battery drain. Please try and post your results here:

* Restore iPhone as new (DO NOT use a back-up)
    * Immediately after restore, turn-off iMessage
    * Reset Network Settings TWICE.
    * Restart phone by holding power + Home button.
    * LEAVE iMessage OFF
    NOTE: You must follow these instructions. It seems that just turning off iMessage does not stop it from doing background operations/connections.

Enjoy you new iPhone without the battery drain.:D

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No thanks. Battery drain or not iMessage is too good to be turned off. And just because it worked for you doesn't mean that it'll work for everyone else.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

^^^ This! I prefer to use iMessage!

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I use iMessage a LOT...probably 100 messages back and forth each week, if not more. No battery drain issue. I know, I know, everyone will scream that I'm lucky if I don't have a bad battery, etc. etc. Apple has acknowledged that the battery issue is a real problem, and they're working on it. iMessage is fantastic, and I wouldn't recommend turning it off unless you just don't use it.

People keep posting fixes for the battery problems, but I don't think it's any one thing causing the problem, because nothing seems to solve the problem for everyone. Give Apple some time; hopefully the next update to iOS5 will take care of it.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Couldn't agree more. People have been posting countless threads turning off this and that just trying to get more battery life. Most of the people I text now are iMessages and send way too many to go back to regular sms.

6. violence macrumors member

Just an FYI, I wouldn't call 100 iMessages a lot.

7. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Jordan921...Thanks?
    Your reply certainly added to the conversation...keep up the good work. Atleast now I, along with anyone else that reads the thread, know that Jordan921 feels that iMessage is great and my suggestion to fix a problem may not work.
    Please feel free to keep posting how you really feel....:rolleyes:

8. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My 4 didn't drain more with iOS 5...

9. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Before everyone rushes to judge over a simple suggestion to help those that suffer from severe battery drain, please just stop and think.....how would you feel if your phone could not hold a charge longer then a few hours?
    I have 2 other 4s's and they both work GREAT!!!!! I posted this for those that need help with severe battery drain. I did not tell evryone to turn-off iMessage.I agree that iMessage is really cool....when it works the way it was designed. But for me and many others, living without iMessage in order to have an iPhone that last longer then a few hours is an easy choice.

10. jmgregory1, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    As one who has, at times, had severe battery drain, I look at the countless suggestions for "fixing" the problem and think - it feels like many of these "fixes" are wives-tales. First, hold your phone upside down and backwards, counting to 10 as you press the following combination of buttons, being careful not to go over or under, then do the same thing and but in the exact opposite direction while breathing in and saying the alphabet...

One crazy fix works for each person - or each person is due their one bizarre fix formula. That would be a great easter egg if Apple could program that into iOS.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have been using iMessage frequently since iOS5 was launched, and have not experienced battery drain issues.

If you followed the steps you outlined and it improved your battery life, great, but iMessage is not causing battery drain for everyone, and I suspect it probably isn't the major cause of battery drain because it's part of the Push architecture. Maybe for some people push is a little too aggressive and your steps may have whipped it into shape for you, but I don't believe it to be accurate that iMessage was the cause.

12. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My 4S has absolutely no battery issues. I get around 20 hours standby with a couple hours or so of usage and I am usually sitting around 40%. I use iMessages all the time. 75% of the folks I text have iPhones so we take advantage of it.

My buddy has a 4 on Verizon and he has battery issues.

Hopefully 5.0.2 resolves the problem for everyone.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Thanks for posting this. But I'd turn off iCloud before iMessage. On the ip4s siri is hugely useful to me. It's replaced most of my IM apps.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Interesting. There is another thread that SWEARS that iCloud is FOR SURE the cause of the drain. :cool:

Point? - Nobody knows anything and it will eventually be fixed. So don't waste your time with all these restores, black magic, ju ju or whatever.

15. Trea macrumors newbie

Mine was fixed by pressing up up down down left right B A.

Or maybe that was my Nintendo I forget.

16. chrisw491, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

chrisw491 macrumors newbie

why is it that some people have to be jerks towards a person thats simply trying to help others??? he never said that EVERYONE was experiencing battery life drains or that EVERYONE should turn of iMessage. he simply stated a solution that has worked for him and that may work for others that are experiencing battery drain problems that are a major headache. if your iPhone doesn't have any problems or if stopping the use of iMessage is not an option then obviously this his post was not directed toward you.

i personally would like to state that this solution does work for me. i have tried this a few days ago and noticed that when using iMessage my iPhone drains battery nearly twice as fast, which is RIDICULOUS. my iPhone already drains about 1% every 5 minutes. and thats with the screen turned on, doing nothing, in the settings app watching the statistics. i personally don't want to turn off iMessage because of its convenience so ill try to live with the excessive drain until apple puts out a fix.

but for anyone one else who is experiencing excessive drain that they can't deal with and can live without iMessage, turning it off is something they should try.

there is absolutely no reason to bash someone who is only trying to provide helpful statistics. He never said this was a problem affecting EVERYONE.

P.S. i didn't have to restore my iphone. you shouldn't have to restore to disable or enable iMessage. reset maybe, but not restore.

17. oshia86 macrumors regular

Yup.