Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Hey Guys
I have been having this issue since day one, not sure if there is a work around. Basically my GF has both an Ipad and an Iphone. When she sends me an Imessage from her Iphone it creates a chat log, when she sends me an iMessage form her Ipad there's a different chat log created. Both chat logs look the same (only her name shows up).
Is there a way I can edit or do something to differentiate which one is which? I often find myself in the situation when I want to send a message to her Iphone (cos the ipad stays at home) and I have to guess which of the 2 chat logs is her Iphone and which is her Ipad...Of course half of the time i get it wrong and the message goes to her Ipad instead and there's no real way for me to tell.
Maybe if there was a way to label iMessage chats I could label one as say "GF Ipad" and the other one as 'GF Iphone' so when I have to send a message to her i can tell for sure which one to pick?
I am guessing the messages from her ipad are addressed to my email address, and the messages from her iphone addressed to my phone number, but they both come into my iphone looking exactly the same way..so no way to tell which of the 2 devices is messaging me.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It should be based on the contacts you have for her. You can probably create two separate ones for her (and name them somewhat differently) where one has her phone number and would typically be used for messaging to and from her iPhone, and another one has her email address associated with the Apple ID she uses to message from the iPad. You might then need to delete any conversations you have with her already so that new ones would get started using the new contacts and should then hopefully be separated based on those contacts.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Actually, it may not work. While chats to the iPhone number can only be received on her iPhone, if you use her email address, those messages could be received on either her iPhone or iPad, provided she has her email set up on both devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, it may not work. While chats to the iPhone number can only be received on her iPhone, if you use her email address, those messages could be received on either her iPhone or iPad, provided she has her email set up on both devices.
That is true. It would more than likely help properly divide incoming messages, but outgoing would sort of depend on how they are configured on the other side. That said, messages to the phone number would definitely not end up on the iPad, and those to the email only would end up on the iPad but can also end up on the iPhone too (so the only real downside is that in that case the same message for her would be in both places, which might not be that much of an issue).

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I could live with that i guess since most of the time the issue I run into is trying to make sure the message gets to her Iphone. If it gets to her Ipad as well is no big deal, its only when it gets to her Ipad only that's annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.