iPhone X iMessage isn’t working ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Closingracer, May 29, 2018.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I recently bought an iPhone X coming from my Note 8 . I decided to get onto a family plan with a friend so save some cash and decided to go back with apple since I found battery life to be horrible on my note 8 . So anyways I also switch carriers from Verizon to sprint and haven’t yet been able to send iMessage yet only sms

2. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Try these and toggle iMessage off then on. Sometimes, it takes 10 minutes to activate
    1. Must have a valid SIM card with active plan with cellular or WiFi on
    2. Remove and re-seat the SIM card
    3. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Setting

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Seems to me it’s choosing not to do it with one of my contacts which is weird .

4. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

If it is just one contact, does he or she is using iMessage? It's possible he or she is in a low cellular data area and he/she couldn't receive it and the device switches iMessage to SMS so attempt to deliver it.

5. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes . He’s my friend who I am on a family plan with and did iMessage before when I had an iPhone prior to my note 8

6. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

So it seems I can iMessage him on my MacBook Pro but still goes back to SMS on my phone. Only person with an iPhone I am having this issue with

7. ericwn macrumors 68020

Maybe iMessage works when using his email address rather than a phone number?

Also make sure your contact on the device has both email and phone number entered.

8. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok never had this issue with my iPhone 7 with him . Only thing changed was my phone number

9. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Are you signed into your iCloud for iMessage?

You can try these as well:
    1. Backup or forward your said contact messages. Delete the entire thread. Delete the contact and re-create it.
    2. Sign out of iCloud under Settings>Messages>Send & Receive or deselect all other and use only your phone number. Your old phone number may be shown here too.

10. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

I’ll check those out but I know my old number is gone

11. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040