iMessage on iPhone 3Gs being used as iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thegoldglover, Oct 15, 2011.

1. thegoldglover macrumors newbie

I have an issue.* I upgraded to the 4Gs, gave my wife my Phone 4 and plan to use her old 3Gs as an iPod touch for my son.* Here's the issue I'm running into.* I created an iCloud email for my son in order to use iMessage for free texting.* The 3Gs which has been upgraded to ios 5 still shows my wife's phone number as an option to receive iMessages at.* Obviously this is a problem because if I send a text to my wife or my son it goes to BOTH phones.* I've removed the sim card from the 3Gs and even deleted the phone number from the 3Gs but it does not remove her phone number.* You also cannot delete her phone number in the iMessage options for receiving texts.*
    Will I have to set the phone up as new in order to correct this issue?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

3. etbull macrumors newbie

Did you ever get iMessage working? I am in the same situation, gave my son my old 3GS as an iPod but can't get iMessage activated

4. bommai macrumors 6502a

bommai

Has there been any updates on this. I did the same thing as the original poster. Got a new iPhone 4S and gave my daughter my iPhone 3GS. Left the SIM in there but otherwise set it for her with her Apple ID and iMessage. But she keeps getting my iMessages.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Take out your SIM, restore, set up as new

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought you need the SIM to initiate a restore, or not anymore with iOS5?