iMessage on iPhone 4S (all iOS5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AWallen90, Dec 8, 2011.

1. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

First month we all got our iPhone 4S's a couple of the girls on the plan got really close to going over their data really quickly. They got close to going over their data because of excessive iMessage usage. iMessage is great for me while at school because reception is terrible there. Seems like there should be a switch that only allows iMessage use while on wifi and does not hog data. Is there just a thing or am I missing the boat?

Shortened version:
    Is there a way to only allow iMessage while on wifi?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No. You'd have to manually turn it on and off in your settings. iMessage uses very little data, though, so are you sure it's what caused the problem?

3. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Nope, you just have to go into messages settings and turn on and off iMessage when on wifi

4. E4tH macrumors newbie

No, but there is a way to turn it off. So you can turn it off when your not on wifi and turn it back on when on wifi seems like it would become tedious after a while though.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would take a closer look at your plan usage. iMessage hardly uses data. Texts use around 1kb of data, thus even if they sent 10,000 a month (I text constantly and use maybe 6,000), they wouldn't use more than 10mb

6. AWallen90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe it is the issue, my sister usually hits the 160ish mark on her 200MB. Also she had her senior pictures taken and was sending them out like mad.

Also I believe this belongs in the IOS part? If it needs moved I apologize.

----------

It switched mine on and off for a while, and yes it was incredible tedious. The girls would not remember, a little difficult to find the right word. I do not believe that is a valid solution for them.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The pictures would use more data.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

You might want to also ask them how much they are using Siri? Seeing as siri uses the network as well. But from what i've read up on it not THAT much

But i'm gonna say its most likely the sending of the pictures.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

A couple things. Yes, iMessage will use wifi. As I understand it though, you basically have to turn mobile data off in order for it to be coming through wifi 100% of the time. Another thing is, iMessage is going to use a very small amount of data per message. Much smaller than an email. I am not saying you are wrong, but I would be shocked to see any person's imessage rack up more than maybe 100-ish MB a month, and that is sending tens of thousands of messages.

I stoll the following from another forum :rolleyes:

So following that, a page out of an ecyclopedia is roughly 10 kilobytes. One would need to send 100 of those pages for just the textual data to equate one megabyte. We can calculate on and on... my point is that, even on their lowest 200mb plan, I find it incredibly hard to believe that iMessage is what is pushing you over the edge.

10. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Don't know if anyone gave you the solution but.

It's simple to bypass, just turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi, iMessage will work nicely. Or just pop out the simcard, whatever choice you want. iMessage isn't bound to the sim-card, but rather your apple-id, so that's why it will work.
    How i noticed this is when i retired my old 3GS and popped out the sim-card and let it laying on the table and while i was using my new 4S sending iMessages i noticed that when i received an iMessage it would show up on both devices, in fact the whole conversation would when it was on wifi only and no sim-card in it.

And i can't understand how you could get such high data usage on iMessage!? Text barely takes up any data. That is if you aren't sending a lot of pictures and videos, then you can easily achieve excessive data usage.