iMessage on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brounmoney, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

So I turned off iMessage when I first got my iphone, but today I wanted to turn it back, but it just sits saying waiting for activation what the hack am I suppose to do?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It sometimes takes awhile, myself I have seen a couple hours. How long has it been sitting there?

Try going into the Messages app and see if your send button is green (iMessages not ready) or blue (it's ready)

3. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Just leave it switched off. It sucks. Half the messages don't get through and you have no way of knowing which ones did

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

well, you can tell what messages are sent thru iMessage or text, blue text bubbles are iMessage whereas green text bubbles are sent via SMS

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

works fine for me, you get delivered under it if it arrived

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Only issues I have with iMessages is when I receive them, they go to one or two of my devices instead of all 3. Example, I'm working on my MBA, Messages opened and minimized, iPad Mini on my desk next to me, iPhone's charging in the other room. I'll hear the text notification on my phone but it won't show up on my iPad or MBA.

And it always to go the device(s) that's out of arm's reach, but I think that's just my bad luck lol

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I've never had any issues you mention, but I guess that depends on network coverage.

I've never heard of anyone who's turned it off, and I have no idea why anyone would, but to each his own I guess.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

iMessage has been awesome for me. I've never had any issues with people not receiving messages. Sometimes my iMessages will get sent as SMS messages when i'm in a low-signal area but they'll still get it.

I also like being able to text and read texts from any of my devices and the messages sync well with all of them.

9. hobx macrumors regular

Go into settings on all your devices. For the ipad and the macbook you may need to add your phone number as an imessage address under Send and Recieve. On all devices you need to set the "Start new conversations from" setting to your email address.

Messages will now come to all your devices. Its not very apple like in complexity but once I did this I started getting my messages on everything.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'll give this a shot and report back. This issue doesn't happen all the time but sometimes and enough to drive me batty lol.

Now that I think about it, I think I have it set "Start new conversations from" as my phone number and not my email address on my devices.

11. big samm macrumors 65816

I also turned off imessage! Im a person who frequently change devices... Idevices and android devices... And sometimes i dont get my text on my android phone because imsg on my ipad and iphone gets the message and there's no way i can receive it on my android... That problem happens when other people with iphone text me, other phone who text me don't give me this problem... Imessage is cool but not for me!

12. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I am glad iMessage works fine for you. And I do know the difference between sky blue and green! But trust me, this is a well known issue and if you bothered to check if all your iMessages were delivered, I'd wager you'd find some go missing. Especially when the phone is in that limbo state of weak wifi signal and moving across to your network signal

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Never had any issues with iMessage myself. Nobody has ever said they hadn't received my text nor have I ever been left waiting for a response because a text has gone missing. Most probably a network/WiFi glitch rather than a fundamental issue with the phones software if it does occur.

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've never had this issue, and nobody I know has ever mentioned it.

Maybe you live in an area with a pretty weak signal, or wifi issues?

I'd maybe try it again if I was you, see if it's improved since you last tried it?

If you have friends abroad it can be a great thing to have :)