iMessage on iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I was trying out the message program on my iPad sending messages to my wifes iPhone. For some reason the iPhone starts a new conversation for messages sent from the iPad instead of adding to the existing conversation already present on her iPhone.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

First off, are you on iOS 6 for all the devices? If not you are going to run into this. Why? Because in iOS 5 iMessage on wifi only devices only used email addresses for iMessage and your phone could use phone numbers and email addresses thus if a thread started using the phone number it only showed up on the iphone, but if you used email addresses it would show up on the iPad and iPhone.

With iOS 6, imessage was updated so that now your phone number is integrated with your email address so any message that goes to an email address or phone end up always in the same thread (you might end up starting a whole new thread when you make the switch to iOS 6, but going forward they will end up in that new thread only). This is also true for Messages in OSX now. Before they were email address only, and now they integrate your phone number.

The iOS 5 iMessage issue was a huge annoyance for my wife and I. While you can set the default "address" to send messages from, she was constantly sending messages using my phone number rather than email address so our iPads wouldn't get the messages. This is working great in iOS 6 and OSX 10.8.2 (or was it 10.8.1 that the fix went in? Not really sure since I skipped 10.8.1).