iMessage Only Receiving on One Device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Garry-, Jan 4, 2012.

1. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Hello,

I've set iMessage up on my iPhone and iPad. I've set my iPhone to receive at both my telephone number and Apple ID. Obviously my iPad is set up only to receive at my Apple ID. The Caller ID on my phone is set to the Apple ID.

I sent an (i)message from my iPhone to my dad earlier. When he replied, it was received on my iPad, but not my iPhone.

Have I done something wrong or is it just an iMessage niggle?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

From my experience, to "initiate" the connection, you have to start an imessage from the iPad. Subsuquent messages will be linked between both devices.

Note: The respondent must add your email/appleID to your contact info. If they respond only to your cell number, then at least in my experience, it will never make it's way to the iPad.

Apple needs to figure that part out ... because many of my friends are too dumb to add the email/AppleID to my contact info, thus only text my cell number and it never works as it should.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

They have to text your email adress for it to be on both devices, and even then it has a mind of its own.

It's an absolute mess to be honest, and very hard work to get it to work as advertised.

it's not very intuitive when you have to have this conversation with somebody who isnt tech savvy.

"I got a text off your email address I think, how does that work?"

Me, "oh that's iMessage, if you reply to that message it will come to both my iPhone and iPad!"

"oh right, well the conversation is under your email adress not your name, can I fix that?"

Me, "yeah, just add that email adress to my contact."

"How?"

Me, " blah blah blah"

"So, from now on i should text your email address??"

Me, "Yes. Well kind of, your not actually texting or emailing me, it's like a text but it uses data instead of how a text would work"

"mind blown"

I was hoping that it would be easier, because I'd love to be on my iPad and know that any iMessages will come to me while I'm on it, but I need my phone with me at all times because people will usually just use my phone number.

4. -Garry- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Well my iPhone caller ID is my e-mail address, so it will have been sent from that. And he must have replied to it for it to be delivered to my iPad. Just don't know why it wasn't delivered to both.

----------

Just disabled iMessage on my phone and reactivated it. Interestingly it 'caught up' the missed messages (sent and received) after a couple of minutes. Will see how it goes from here.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Exactly. I'm hoping Apple rectifies this. They should allow the linking of AppleID's to Cell numbers which would fix the problem.