iMessage over WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by o.neill.kid, May 22, 2012.

1. o.neill.kid, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

o.neill.kid macrumors member

Thought this would be the most suitable location for this topic. I was just curious if it is possible to block iMessage over WiFi. If there is a specific port that can be blocked, or not.

I believe this has to be possible because I know schools in my region, as well as public WiFi networks (that I am at) don't always send my iMessages.

I am running DDWRT on my router.

I tried blocking this port listed here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4245 but it didn't seem to work.

2. antman2295 macrumors 6502

There is no way to block it that I know of. Question, why not 1. Turn off Wifi, or 2. Turn off iMessage?

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You def won't be able to do that on the stock iOS, and even if you jailbroke, there probably isn't a tweak for that because your in an extremely small minority.

4. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Of course it can be blocked, in the network. So far as I know blocking 5223 should suffice. Are you sure you've done it correctly? Try connecting to talk.l.google.com on that port. This is Google Talk's address, it uses the same port and protocol.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Even if it's possible, what's stopping anyone from simply turning off WiFi and getting everything via 3G?

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Like others have said, you'll have to do it via the network to be certain.

Since iMessage is sent via your data connection you'd have to disable data on your phone. i.e. wifi, 3G, etc. But then that eliminates ALL data. Probably not what you're looking for.

So leaving that, you'll have to block the port that iMessage uses on wifi.