iMessage question - Sharing Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afousek, Nov 17, 2011.

1. afousek macrumors member

My wife and I each have an iPhone 4S. We both use the same Apple ID for our "store" account. We each have different iCloud IDs.

Until now, we've had no issue with anything. Her iPhone and iPad sync using iCloud, and my iPhone and my Mac sync using iCloud.

Until now, we've been able to use iMessage for "texting" each other.

Occasionally, I would get a message within iMessage saying "not delivered". Usually, if I attempted to send again, it would go through. Not a big deal.

Starting this morning, when I send her a message using iMessage, it does not show up as a message from me, but rather a message from "her" phone number. Also, if she replied to me, it would just show up on my phone as a "sent" message. In other words, when I now go to my wife's name in my Messages app, all of the recent correspondence between us shows up in "blue", almost appearing that I've sent all of the messages to her. Her phone is the same way, expect that she also has an additional "user" showing as her phone number.

Also, there have been a couple of occasions where I would send something to her as a text, rather than iMessage. Regardless of how I sent it, it would still show up under her name/contact within Messages. On her phone, my name is listed twice. One name list the SMS text messages from me, and the other list all of the messages from me via iMessage.

Trust me, this is as confusing to type as it is for you to read. Just curious if anyone has had similar issues. For the time being, we've just disabled iMessage on both phones, but of course I want a solution. Thanks in advance.

2. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

thats very odd. I share "store" accounts with another 4s but different icloud accounts as well and have not had this problem. I wonder if it has something to do with your initial set up when you 1st activated the iphone as we both skipped the initial setup and set up everything such as store, facetime, and icloud manually. Have you tried resetting your settings and content?

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Under Settings - Messages - Received At, make sure all the phone number and email listed are different between the two phones.

Then go to Caller ID, make sure they are set to different phone numbers or iCloud emails.

4. afousek thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'll check that. It's just odd that it's worked up until now.

But, since we share a store account, should our iMessage ID be the same as our individual iCloud IDs?

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No, iMessenger is independent. You can use any email(s) - yes, I current have two emails tied to my iMessenger. After you enter the emails, Apple will send verifications to each one, and you need to respond to verify. Also out of the emails you enter, only one of them can be a registered Apple ID.