iMessage sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bro4dhead, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bro4dhead macrumors member

Hi all,

I popped into the apple shop because the battery life on my iPhone 5 seems to be dreadful.

The guy in the shop suggested doing a fresh install of the phone but this would delete all my text messages.

My question is if I have iMessage synced with my macbook and iPad will this mean that when I re sign into iMessage on the phone the messages will return?

Thanks for any help!

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Nope, sorry. The messages don't sync, they're sent to the addresses you've chosen (including your phone number, of course), and once received that's that. In other words, the Message app on your macbook and the Message app on your phone/iPad aren't syncing to each other or a discussion thread on a server - they're just receiving identical messages.

3. bro4dhead thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. So if I wipe my iPhone then the messages on my macbook will also be deleted?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

No, since there is no syncing going on like that.

Every time you send an iMessage, it's automatically sent to your other addresses so that you'll be able to follow the discussion from any given device. And every time you receive an iMessage, you receive it at every address.

But that's it.

If you remove a message from one device, it will still be there on the other devices, and you can't get it back.

5. bro4dhead thread starter macrumors member

Ok so if i do a fresh install on my iphone which erases the messages, does that mean they will still be on the macbook and ipad?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes.