iMessage verification delay or something else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tezcatlipoca, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

I turned on two-step last week, and changed my Apple ID password on Sunday night.

Because I changed my password, I obviously had to sign back in to iCloud + iMessage + Facetime + App Store / iTunes on my iPhone, iMac, and iPad.

After signing back into iMessage and Facetime on each device I got pop-up messages (as normal) on the other devices, telling that that <device name> had signed in to iMessage/Facetime using my Apple ID's email address.

One day later, on Monday night, I had a pop-up notification on my iMac and my iPad telling me that "<my iPhone 5's name> is now using <my Apple ID email address> for iMessage".

Normal pop-up you get when you sign back in to iMessage... but a day after the event.

I can't remember if I already had the same pop-up at the time I signed in, and this was a repeat, or if this was the first/only pop-up for the iPhone's iMessage.

But, being a paranoid numpty (see my other threads :eek: ), it made me worry that maybe someone else signed into iMessage on their own device, using my Apple ID. Of course, that would also mean their device has the same name as mine, which also made me worry someone accessed my iCloud backup.

However:

There are no extra devices in my Support Profile (aside from my old 4S I removed since seeing it there again last week, it's not been there since before the password change though), no extra devices authorised in iTunes, I now use two-step verification, and I changed my password on Sunday night.

I also haven't received any emails from Apple saying that iCloud or iMessage or anything else has been activated on any new/other devices using my Apple ID, which AFAIK I would receive if someone had somehow got into my account and used it to sign in on their own device.

So, am I just being a crazy fool once again, and this is just Apple's servers taking their time to send the iPhone+iMessage related pop-up, or is there anything for me to once again worry about? :eek::)

2. simply stunning macrumors regular

I notice that it takes up to a day sometimes for this message to show up. I know when it happened to me, I was concerned someone had signed in on my account, but that has not been the case. I would say that for some reason it had a delay on you Mac receiving the notification, and I would let it be.

3. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Yeah, a delay was my "rational" thinking. I know I've had activation delays before with iMessage and Facetime, so it makes sense for it to simply be a delay with the pop-up this time...Especially as for it to be something else would mean my brand new password would have had to be guessed/cracked/whatever already, plus if someone had signed in with my account on their device I should have had an email from Apple (but I haven't had one), plus two-step should also have stopped them from using a new device.

Of course, my "irrational" thinking always takes over... :eek: