iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Does anyone prefer this off ?

I personally do, for two reasons.

Dislike for people to know I've received their message & sometimes messages seem to disappear from the conversation, does anyone have this problem?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I prefer it on
    I like being able to continue my conversation on my iPad and Mac seamlessly

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea same here especially me talking to my friends back home with any international sms charge.

4. Ktdhc macrumors member

I have it turned off.

It's pretty buggy a lot of the times, like texts going missing or just not working at all. And I know I'm not the only one having these problems.

I haven't had the SIM issue but that's another known problem as well.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I hated the fact that it went into a chat if there were any unread messages instead of going to the chat list regardless of whether you left the app in a chat or in the chat list. Which is why jailbreaking is awesome! A jailbreak app called biteSMS has an option to always open to chat list.

----------

It's not perfect though.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

With ATT I don't honestly see a point to iMessage, unless every single person you text is on an Apple phone. You still end up paying for a text package, unless you text so little that a per message charge would be cheaper.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Read receipts, delivery confirmation, typing notifications, and messages being synced over multiple devices. I do still have my unlimited texting plan... Not because I need the texts, but because the unlimited mobile to any mobile let's me keep the lowest tier voice plan.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What is? I find it works very well for me, and I can continue my conversations with little to no issues whatsoever. It keeps from limiting me to my iPhone for text messaging and having to switch to email, etc. I use it extensively with my GF and both move between MBA, iPad and iPhone all day long.

I use it on AT&T, but I never considered it an option to a texting package, but rather an additional feature. I pay for my services and consider it a cost of doing business.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't find any of this useful; most people don't turn their read receipts on IME, delivery confirmation is nice, I guess, but it's never been a problem previously, and I don't sync over multiple devices personally, hence my original statement. I still get plenty of texts from non-iPhone users, so I save no money there. With all the issues people have had and continue to have with iMessage, I just don't see the positives outweighing the negatives at this time.

----------

Clearly ATT disagrees what with their replacing their texting packages with a single unlimited package. (I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but I don't believe it) :mad:

Forgot to mention, it also uses data. Not a big deal if you are sending texts only, but if you send a lot of pics it may effect you.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

iMessage works fine for me and it is very helpful since I can get texts on my iMac at work when I do not have very good phone reception in my office. I use it frequently and I have not noticed any bugs.

11. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I guess I'm lucky as I haven't had any problems. I use iMessage with my Verizon iPad, iMac and iPhone (no carrier just wi-fi) and it works great across all my devices. Is there any rhyme or reason to the issues people are having with it?

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I pay $10 for my wife and I to both have the smallest texting package. Without iMessage we'd probably need the unlimited plan for $30.

I'm saving $20 a month. That's $240 a year I save because of iMessage. You can't see the point of that?

13. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Wait what... I pay $20 for my unlimited text plan on AT&T not $30.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you are able to get an old plan, that is great. I am not, therefore it's $20 a month for my line, or nothing. I was talking about a point for myself. Unless it was a grandfathered text package, there is no option other than $20 unlimited texting anymore. Put more simply, I was sharing my experience and my situation. Thanks.

----------

$30 is unlimited family plan texting.

15. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

I also keep iMessage off. I'm on Sprint and I'm gonna be paying for sms whether I like it or not and only a few of my friends own iPhones anyways. On top of that, I've seen way to many threads on here talking about issues with iMessage and I really don't want to have a problem with my messages so I keep it off at all times.

16. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Yeah AT&T was scared and trying to make people pay for texting unlimited or pay go to protect their revenue stream

17. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Agree with this. Thats why they introduced the mobile to mobile along with Unlimeted text.

18. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

I personally like it on. Data has never been an issue with me but some family and friends seem to be having problems with using too much data.

19. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I love iMessage. I have the now defunct 200 texts for $5/month from AT&T - This was always more than enough for most of the year, but the one month in the year I went to a big convention I would always go way over and get a huge bill. Now enough people I know have iPhones and I don't have to worry about going over my allotted 200 texts/month. And I can also message with my aunts who only have iPod Touches.

20. wc17 macrumors member

Great idea by apple and I do love it. Love having group chats going through iMessage that I can pick up on my iPad as well.

Apple does need to fine tune it though. As with any new idea/program it has many bugs/glitches that need to be worked out.

Still a fan of it...

21. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I like it because it's a little faster, and when I text Verizon iPhone users, the messages don't hit the CDMA problem of getting chopped in half or thirds, but when it comes down to it, it's pretty meh. If it disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't be upset about it. It doesn't have any material affect since you pretty much have to have unlimited texting these days anyways. I don't have M2AM, although we can switch to a new voice plan and get that if we want it. That's a nice freebie to have, although again, little material affect, mostly it just adds more rollover minutes to the bucket.

22. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Yes I wish I could get the $5 text plan. I have the 1000 text plan and I used to send several hundred a month. Now with whatsapp and iMessage I average less than 50 texts a day

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Definitely leave it on, you don't have to have read receipts on, but I find that the Delivery notification is awesome as I know the message got to their phone.

Not only that, but I can type above 160 characters and not have to worry about the message going to the other person's phone out of order and they would interpret the messages the wrong way.

Also, Emojii icons actually send.

24. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

You can send emoji without iMessage #

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have had trouble with it showing as squares to Verizon customers.