iMessages and OCD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgro, May 1, 2012.

1. bgro macrumors 6502a

iMessages completely ******'s with my OCD. As much as I try to keep the iPhone and iPad Messages synced, there is no real way to do this in a real world setting.

I have the "Receive At" field on my iPhone set to my apple user ID and my phone number. It's set to my apple id on my iPad also. The "Caller ID" is set to my apple ID on both my iPhone and iPad. The problem is not on my end. THe problem is with people on the other end.

For example, if I initiate a conversation with my dad, everything is in sync perfectly, including when he responds to me (since he is technically responding to my apple id, not my phone number).

However, if my dad then deletes that conversation on his iPhone and then initiates a conversation using my phone number, that's where the trouble starts. I now get a separate thread on my iPhone which obviously doesn't sync to my iPad.

Apple needs to fix this imo. Not sure if they would be able to link a phone number to your apple id and then convert any message sent to the phone number to your apple id. That would be great imo and allow for a seamless experience.

Bottom line is, the implentation of imessage is flawed imho.

Cool story bro.

2. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

3. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Yup

I agree that it's pretty annoying but there's not much that can be done about it. Maybe one day your phone number will be assigned to your Apple ID and therefore be received on your iPad.

Until that point you'll just have to make it through as best as you can!

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you really have OCD (a term that's tossed around very loosely on here), you should see a medical professional for treatment. If not and you're just picky, you really need to get over it.

6. chuges macrumors member

I agree. I wish there were a better way to integrate everything seemlessly.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I agree. AMEN!!! A relative of mine has crippling OCD, his wife had to leave him it was so bad. It really frustrates me when people "decide" that they have OCD or hand pick a little quirk or pet peeve to label as OCD. To me it's on the same level as using the term "retard" inappropriately.

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Couldn't they do this with iCloud? So even if a message is sent to your phone number, your iPhone would then update a record on iCloud which would push it to your other devices?

9. matttye macrumors 601

They could, but they need to keep some features to put in later versions of ios so that people will buy new devices.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why does it annoy people when they say they're OCD about something? It's no different than saying "Oh man, I was a retard I did [insert stupid thing that the person did]". Doesn't mean they think they're retarded any more than people think they're OCD. It's just an expression for being obsessive about something.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Most people would realize that "retarded" is a fairly offensive term these days, however it's not really surprising that there's an overlap of people who don't know the difference between mental illness and being anal and people who like to hyperbolize to get attention.

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

That's not how it works.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm not saying it's not an offensive term, I'm saying that a lot of people use it as another word for dumb or stupid, and no one really seems to get offended or make a fuss about it.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well seeing as people were labelled retarded cause the word originally meant held back/slowed down, I get annoyed when people get annoyed when I use retarded for its proper use!!!!

It's one thing to be annoyed when some one uses a word meant to describe a people to say something is bad cause it's like those people (like saying something is gay or womanly or whatnot). It's another when that word actually meant that and because of so they labelled the group that word (the meaning came first though so using it doesn't mean you are necessarily equating it with the group of people or saying they are a bad thing to be like).

As for OCD, most people have levels of OCD... it's only an issue when it starts severely interfering with your life (This really is true of most mental conditions). And maybe they only share some traits (For example I have some minor issues like having to constantly check if the door is locked or my locker at work is locked. I've gone back several times to check before. In college I had a fourth floor dorm and I remember walking up the stairs four times to make sure the door was locked at which point I decided that it was ridiculous and I needed to find some way to get myself to stop being so paranoid about that. I've found ways to combat that and I wouldn't say I'm near bad at all, but I do think I have at least that trait of obsessing about certain things and wanting to be sure I did it).

As for the original post, I agree and I don't think it's OCD... it would be nice to not have to try to remind people to use my email cause I want to be able to get reminded on my computer or ipad as well as my phone. And it would be nice not to have to worry about having two seperate conversations that are with the same person.

15. terraphantm, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

This. The term "retarded" simply means "slowed or delayed" and in clinical use, it was simply a term describing slow mental development. Calling a mentally challenged individual "retarded" should be no more offensive than calling them mentally challenged. Now to someone who isn't retarded, calling them retarded would obviously be an insult. In the same way that calling a straight man gay would be insulting. Doesn't mean it should be dropped from our vocabulary. We don't have to get all PC and call it the "R-word"

On the issue of OCD... Just because it isn't clinical OCD doesn't mean we can't use that term to describe people who aren't crippled by their compulsions. Many people say they're "depressed" when all that happened was that their boyfriend forgot to text them back. It's not the same thing as clinical depression, but no one bats an eye to that word being used for "dumb" things.

16. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Perhaps they actually have split personality disorder?

On the off topic, I say both retarded and OCD. Sue me.

17. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Agreed - I'm hoping that at some point, I can assign my mobile number to my iPad and Macbook so that they can receive sync'd messaging on an inbound basis.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

wow, lot's of fun, except that's not the way language works. It's not really surprising to me considering the people on here, but you clearly have no idea what it's like to be discriminated against and the "oh, it's fine to use ___ because it used to mean ____, so people should just get over it" is just kind of sad. I'm sure you wouldn't mind me calling you a bunch of crackers, since it's original meaning is a tasty snack. Perhaps you think it's ok to use the term "********t" because it used to mean a bundle of sticks. Doing so, however, ignores the larger picture of how language an interpretation works. Do any of those terms' original meanings carry any weight? No, they don't, and no one would reasonable think that I was comparing you to a Saltine if I called you a cracker.

19. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Seriously guys? Way to make a HUGE deal out of this and turn this thread into a topic on being politically correct.

20. bgro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol I just read thismthreadband thought the same thing. OCD is obviously just a term (maybe politically incorrect but who creally cares). Certainly not me.

The whole thing is retarded.

----------

If people didn't worry about stuff like this so much the world would be a much better place. I'm not saying that blatant racism or calling someone who is mentally retarded retarded is acceptable because it's not.. I am saying however that in the context of my OP, who really cares that I used the term OCD? Who was I offending? In fact, I think it's safe to say that someone with OCD might truly have a problem with the way iMessages works with multi threading same contact conversations. So by that extension maybe I actually do have a slight case of OCD. Maybe I should be offended at your use of the phrase "not really surprising considering the people on here". That statement in and of itself is a stereotype which is along the same lines as the very thing your upset about. It's not all about u and maybe instead of getting offended you should just accept that the use of a word might not be an attempt to offend but rather an attempt to describe.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, it's not just a term. It's a serious anxiety disorder that you not only mock, but don't even care to learn about it.

Who are you offending? Likely those who are suffering from the disease that you (and many others on the web) made light of. Chances are, no, they wouldn't have a problem with how iMessages works because that's not the way the disease usually acts.

22. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

jesus christ, who the **** cares, i came here to read about flawed imessages design and all i encounter is a bunch of idiots trying to be even bigger idiots (and this isnt meant to be a hyperbole like in op case). people these days... this world is falling apart...

the ability to understand other people, especially on higher levels of abstraction like hyperbole is proportional to one's iq. so i guess i was wrong, not bunch of idiots but bunch of retards, or mentally challenged to be politically correct :rolleyes:

i really dont know if im mad or sad, seeing all good posts downliked and the direction this potentially interesting thread is headed. usually im not aggressive but there are some limits of good taste. its like non of you here read a book or a poem.

be creative with the language, and stay on topic

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The difference is cracker didn't originally mean white person, it was creatively used to turn it into an insult. Retarded always has meant slowed down/held back and that is why it is used to describe a particular mental problem. But when I say something is retarded, I am using the original sense of the word, I am not likening it to a retarded person and therefore insulting the retarded person by saying something that is bad is like him. That is different than some one saying that is gay or that is womanly which is saying being gay or a woman is bad. That is my point.

24. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I feel like we've gotten off topic here.....

Perhaps you should notify people of your iMessage preference and ask that they please send you messages at your Apple ID email and not at your phone address. This still doesn't solve the problem of your NON Apple friends/family sending SMS that is also not available on the iPad, so I just learned to deal with it.

That being said, I hate the OCD/retarded misuse as well. My mother works with retarded children, and seeing how debilitating their conditions are first hand, it really irks me when a friend uses the term so loosely or in a joking or derogatory way. I ask them not to use it, and most of them know my mother and understand. People on the internet are different though. I'll probably never have to see or talk to any of them, so I don't let them offend me. If I couldn't let it slide off my back I'd probably run screaming from the internet and never return.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The word's 'gay' and 'retarded' have become so integrated into people's vocabulary these days that you're wasting your breath trying to get people to stop saying them.