iMessages bug is confusing phone numbers, sends messages to number not on the contact

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuna, Nov 16, 2016.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

Many many years I have had two cell phone numbers on my friend "Brian"'s contact. One number was his, and one number was one of his parent's phone numbers from a time that he had to borrow a phone. It was never a problem and it always texted the correct contact. Last week it started messing up and texting his parent. The cause I have learned almost certainly has to do with the parent having gotten their first iPhone last week, and Apple probably has a bug regarding automatically prioritizing phone numbers associated with iMessage over all other numbers, even when another number had already been established as the primary number.

To try to resolve this issue, I deleted the parents phone number from the contact. That didn't work and I was still messaging the parent. So I then created a new contact specifically for the parent's number, hoping that having that number on a different contact, and not on Brian's, might resolve the issue. Nope. I called Apple support today and they told me to delete all my conversation histories with Brian. Did that. Still doesn't work.

Here is a screencap of what is happening:

[​IMG]

That top phone number, the greyed out one, had been deleted from Brian's contact and even put on a separate contact, however it still shows up on the iMessage list and even still seems to act as the default phone number some times.

How do I fix this issue? Thanks!

2. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey RedOrchestra that seemed to work on iPhone but is there an equivalent functionality for desktop iMessages? I couldn't find any, and the exact same problem is still manifesting on desktop

Also, Brian and I are not able to send media messages to each other at all. When I, the iPhone user, sends him a message, from my perspective it appears to go through, he the Android user just gets a blank "downloadable" media icon but when he tries to download it it fails (it shouldnt be a download icon anyway, it should just be the image). When he tries to send me images, it just fails.

So frustrating.