Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shad0whawk

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
If I use iMessages on MacOS running 10.13.5 and click the 'X' or swipe left to delete a conversation, it does not delete across all my devices only on the Mac. There's no message, no warning, etc. and it's deleted locally. Instead, if I right-click and select 'Delete Conversation', it notifies me that it will delete the message across all my devices. That doesn't seem quite right and a bit counter-intuitive. Is anybody else experiencing the same behavior? Is this expected behavior? If I delete a message using iOS, it will delete across all my devices including my Mac. Thoughts???

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
If I use iMessages on MacOS running 10.13.5 and click the 'X' or swipe left to delete a conversation, it does not delete across all my devices only on the Mac. There's no message, no warning, etc. and it's deleted locally. Instead, if I right-click and select 'Delete Conversation', it notifies me that it will delete the message across all my devices. That doesn't seem quite right and a bit counter-intuitive. Is anybody else experiencing the same behavior? Is this expected behavior? If I delete a message using iOS, it will delete across all my devices including my Mac. Thoughts???

Ive found that it takes a fair amount of time for everything to sync across devices. It does of course depend on the number of messages you have and attachments. When my Mac finally completed the sync (after a few hours) I found messages from 2014. Still not sure where they came from. Deleted all but the current ones and now everything is in sync.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
This is expected behavior. Everything is in sync. It’s like photos in the cloud. Delete once, delete everywhere.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Enabled Messages in iCloud for iOS, yesterday, and let it sync . . . iMessages go back to 5/14

Enabled Messages in iCloud for MacOS on MBP, this morning, and am letting it dl/sync . . . iMessages go back to 6/16

Just enabled Messages in iCloud for MacOS on the 5,1, and it's currently downloading/synching . . . iMessages go back to 8/16

...let's see what tomorrow shall bring ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.