iMessages: What's New in iOS 13

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Konigi macrumors regular

Konigi

At last! Almost any messaging app has this ability to provide many results for one person you're messaging. I couldn't understand why Apple's Messages couldn't do it. It was completely unhelpful.

And yes, the new ability to reply to a specific message (as with Messenger), that would be great!

2. noSpeed macrumors member

Have you ever used whatsapp? iMessages is basically just SMS from the 90's.

3. Naflsh2u macrumors newbie

Naflsh2u

I’m having issues not being able to send Memoji to non iMessage users. Keeps saying MSS needs to be turned on. And it is. Anyone else having this issue on beta 2. It was working the first day I had 13 beta 1 then just stopped letting me send them.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

WhatsApp is a Facebook organization funded and designed app. It may be the rage for many people who don’t really care that said company is a data mining company, which isn’t really concerned about following the law.

I will take secure iMessage over the latest rage.

5. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

My boss at my second job uses what's app, so I downloaded it. I don't have notifications on for it, and it ask me everyday would I like to turn them on...

NO!!!

6. ra.skill macrumors member

ra.skill

Who cares about stupid Animoji Just bring Android support for messages so I can delete the many other messaging apps I’m forced to use.

7. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Search has never really worked for me in previous version. Sometimes it would find the text but when you tapped on it the text would never display. You'd end up having to manually scroll back to find something.

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Oh wow, the better search feature is all I needed! It's hopeless right now!!

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes they do, and one of the main reasons to buy iPhones. Android users show up in green, but seriously when is it important to be having discussions with them anyway? :D

10. Fcub32 macrumors newbie

Fcub32

You can get bold text in iMessages, through enabling the “subject line” option, and typing your message in the subject box. Not really the most efficient way, but I agree, this and italics should be an option at least for between iMessage users, without having to do the workaround.

11. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Yeah, bolding an entire message is pretty aggressive.

I’m talking about selectively emphasizing text or setting it off using formatting we’ve had in word processing software since the 1980s at least.

12. 2181 others macrumors newbie

I still miss an option to mark messages or chats as unread.... WhatsApp is not perfect as well, as long as the small bubble doesn’t return on the app itself to remind you that there are people you have to respond to, despite having read the message itself.

13. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Yes. You can actually.

14. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

15. itsmilo, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

All this Animoji crap and yet we still cannot quote someone in a group chat or easily delete ALL attachments in a conversation.

It’s been driving me nuts for YEARS having to select all images one by one to delete them and then you check back in and there are still some images showing up that you just deleted! Oh and forget about comparing the sent or received image attachments to the separate iMessage usage in the iPhone settings. They NEVER match.

According to the iPhone usage, there are 2 images left on my iPhone yet there r at least 50 appearing in the iMessage conversations itself and the iCloud shows 900 mb

WhatsApp makes it to much easier to get rid of trash in conversations:

Attached Files:

16. fredrik9 macrumors regular

fredrik9

It is here to stay until it isn't. One day all those sensors will be hideable under the screen. Until then, the notch is not that bad, it is preferable to big bezels and Touch ID.

17. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

Ability to edit a sent message perhaps? At least the last sent one. Feel free to add a ”edited” note next to the message so people know it has been changed/edited.

18. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

All I want is to change the background to a color or photo I can choose and change those horrible blue and green bubbles to whatever color we like. And yes, I know they represent iMessage or regular SMS. I don’t care, give us choices.

19. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

20. izyreal macrumors regular

Take a look at Telegram. My girlfriend and I made the switch primarily to get away from Facebook. We haven't looked back.

21. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

They're often not free. Plus, imagine trying to send a few photos or a file to someone using sms.

22. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I feel the same. They should have the dark grey and black backgrounds as both options. That’s how Twitter did it. I reverted back to the white background for now. Also, that dark background is hard to view in direct sunlight.

23. Imdougurnot macrumors member

Imdougurnot

I’m actually thankful for the notch. Most of the time it’s how I know my phone is upright.

24. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Not going to happen this is their brand and Apple is known for this brand. You see a screenshot of a message conversation you can instantly tell it is from Messages.

25. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

I would so love this feature. I have messages on my iPhone delete themselves after a month but on my iPad I've got a gigantic iMessage history because there's some conversations I don't want to lose.